Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>G.A.R. grande rico
Don Fernando 06:23 AM 09-25-2009
Kelmac bombed me a few months ago, and one of the cigars that I wanted to try is the G.A.R. Grande rico, a nice belicoso made by George A Rico, hence the name G.A.R. The cigar is wrapped in cellophane and is slightly box pressed. The size of this belicoso is 6 x 52 with a nice blunt top.

The wrapper is nice, some small veins and the construction feels good. The predraw is just fine and gives me a sweet flavor with a pepper in the back of the throat. The aroma reminds me of hay and a barnyard.

The first flavor I get is a mild milky chocolate and some coffee. The flavors are mild and hard to describe. The coffee turns into wood and the milky chocolate gains some power. The flavors are bland and not very interesting. Once I passed the mid of the cigar I get some pepper with the milky chocolate. The cigar becomes bitter and leaves a burning sensation at the 2/3rd point. I purged the cigar and it got much better. After purging I got wood and pepper.

The ash is nice and white and the draw is fine. I get enough smoke and don’t have complaints about the burn. This is a medium bodied mild flavored cigar.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, this is a mediocre cigar. George A Rico used to be the blender for Gran Habanos and I never had a Gran Habanos I liked either.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 6 / 10
[Reply]
TripleF 06:35 AM 09-25-2009
Great review Ferdie!!

I on the other hand really enjoy this stick, and never liked ANYTHING from GH previously.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 06:42 AM 09-25-2009
We got a saying in Holland that says "you can't argue about taste" (roughly translated). If you like 'em, you like 'em, if you don't, you don't.

This cigar wasn't bad, it was just not fit for my taste. Glad you like 'em Scott, I hope people read this and act on it :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:02 AM 09-25-2009
Thanks for the review Ferdie!! When I purchased these, I expected them to be a lot stronger. They are a very mild, creamy stick.
[Reply]
Tarks 11:58 AM 09-25-2009
I agree with the OP. I do not like G.A.R line. I smoked a Corona Gorda the other day. It was absolutely terrible.
[Reply]
Up