Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Mayorga torpedo maduro
Don Fernando 05:58 AM 09-23-2009
These nice Nicaraguan cigars are made by Nestor Plasencia and he uses Nicaraguan tobacco for the filler and the binder and either a H2000 from Nicaragua or a dark maduro from Costa Rica as a wrapper. Judging by the color and the flavors from the cigar, I think I smoked one with a Costa Rican maduro wrapper. I brought this cigar back from the US but I can’t remember who gave it to me, as all the BOTL’s I met were way to generous and I lost track.

The 5 x 52 torpedo is a bit box pressed and the top of the torpedo is a bit crooked. The dark wrapper has some slight veins. For a moment I thought this could be a dyed wrapper but I was mistaken, the dark color is for real. I get a light barnyard aroma from the cigar.

I like the sweetness that I taste combined with the coffee and the chocolate. The flavors grown in strength a bit without becoming strong flavors, they stay nice and mellow. The chocolate flavor is the main flavor, and once I reached the mid of the cigar chocolate is the only flavor I get.

This cigar is medium bodied, medium flavored. Quite one dimensional but a very pleasant dimension.

I get more than enough smoke from the cigar, a thick white smoke. The draw is fine and the white ash is quite firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I liked it and they are cheap. Nice humidor filler.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:44 AM 09-23-2009
Thanks for the review. :-)
[Reply]
WyoBob 08:45 AM 09-23-2009
I used to smoke a lot of Mayorga Hi-Octane maduro's (that come in a triangle shaped box) and liked them quite a bit. But, like lots of other favorites from my past, I fell out of love. I do know that these do not get better with time for me.

Ferdinand: I've been reading a lot of your reviews. I've found that, if I'm in a hurry, I only have to scroll to the last picture to see if the cigar you were smoking was a "buy again". If it's stuck on a "poker", it's a keeper. If not-----.

WyoBob
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:01 AM 09-23-2009
I stick a lot of smokes on my nubtool ever since I got it, I love that tool, even opened a topic about it :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:53 PM 09-23-2009
Nice review Ferdie!!
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:57 PM 09-23-2009
Very nice review!!! Great photos!!!:-)

I like these and you have inspired me to get more!!!

[Reply]
The Poet 04:18 PM 09-23-2009
I've smoked a number of these in the past, and liked them just fine - not exactly my cup of tea, but eminently smokable for the price. Yet speaking of tea, if you like their cigars you should try their Mayorga coffees. I am especially fond of the Kenya AA Serengeti and Ethiopian Yirgaceffe.
[Reply]
G G 04:26 PM 09-23-2009
As usual a very nice review.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:14 PM 09-23-2009
Glad you didn't have wrapper issues and burn problems w/ this one. The flavor profile is good, but every one I've had didn't want to burn or burned crooked. Several others mention this as well about this stick.

Great review!:-)
[Reply]
Up