Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Wotje Manila
Don Fernando 01:16 PM 07-05-2009
Wotjes is a brand especially made for tobacconist W. Otten in Maastricht, a beautiful city in the south of The Netherlands and I heard a lot about those cigars that is a robusto size, which is an unusual vitola for a dry cigar and they are made with 5 different wrappers. Java, Sumatra, Brazil, Manila and Havana. They are sold in dress boxes of 25 and in samplers of 10, with 2 of each wrapper. I had to go to Maastricht for work last week and decided to treat myself to a sampler. This is the review of the Manila wrapper.

The wrapper is a nice color brown, with some nice veins. The predraw is just fine. When I light the cigar I taste a nice sweet musty flavor, not an unpleasant musty flavor but warm and familiar. The mustiness disappears soon and the sweetness sticks around. The flavor is mellow and after 1/3rd I can taste some liquorice. After 2/3rd I taste spices with a peppery finale. The aroma is quite peppery.

The draw is fine, the cigar produces a nice amount of smoke and the ash is light colored and firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? Probably not, for less money I can buy a Jose L Piedra petit cazadores, which I prefer over this cigar, although if you like dry cigars this Wotje is good.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 6 / 10
[Reply]
taltos 01:49 PM 07-05-2009
Don, would love to see a review of the Brazil wrapper since the Brazilia is in my top five cigars. Also, it was awesome to meet you in our country.:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:58 PM 07-05-2009
I will review all of them this week, Brazil might be up tomorrow. And I'll be back, trust me :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:21 PM 07-05-2009
Very nice review Ferdie!!
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 02:39 PM 07-05-2009
Thanks for the review. Very interesting!
[Reply]
Garbandz 03:27 PM 07-05-2009
Good to see you reviewing smokes again,thanks for showing us something new.I will try to get some goodies together for you,there are a few new items you may enjoy...Thanks too for the link to the herf pics,it was a treat joining up with all the great folks at Skills house in Fayetteville.We must do it again.....Garbandz :-)
[Reply]
Garbandz 03:39 PM 07-05-2009
Maybe I can find a Gorilla Finger to toss in the package....
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:49 PM 07-05-2009
Originally Posted by Garbandz:
Or some wonderful Grape Swishers!!!!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:13 AM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by Garbandz:
I already reviewed that one, it's on my blog and on the board.
[Reply]
Up