Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cigar Review: Tatuaje Cojonu 2009
nyisles 12:34 PM 04-11-2009
Christmas came in April for me this year. Peter Cottontail played the roll of Santa Claus and delivered to me 2 boxes of the new Tatuaje Cojonu 2009 cigars. Released in a new size every three years, the 2009 follows the 2003 and the 2006. Every cigar is made from first generation Cuban seed. I’ve seen multiple sizes listed for the 2009 however, using a rule and a ring gauge measurement tool it comes out to 7 x 49. It’s basically a churchill with a belicoso cap.

Cigar: Tatuaje Cojonu 2009
Size: 7 x 49
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder:Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Appearance and Construction (19/20): The wrapper of this cigar is very toothy with a lot of veins but finding the seams of the roll were virtually impossible. There was one small imperfection on the wrapper with a slight circular tear. It was the only one in the box with an imperfection. The triple cap was flawless and the foot was packed with tobacco. And the cigar had no soft spots at all.

Flavor & Notes (28/30): The foot of the cigar offered some pepper notes which sent me into a sneezing fit. The prelight draw offered some coffee notes. Before lighting the cigar up there was a saltiness to the wrapper that I picked up during the prelight draw. The first third of the cigar is incredible. The cigar has some salty notes from the wrapper, but the smoke is a little bit earthy with some nuts and coffee. There is some pepper here as well, but I don’t think it’s as potent as the previous versions. Either that or I am just more used to it. The cigar during the second third is more leather than earth with some nice nuttiness that is easily defined. The final third of this delicious cigar is very nutty with hints of earth and cedar.

Burn/Ash/Draw (24/25):
The burn on all the cigars I smoked so far out of the box were fairly even. There was a slight jaggedness but to mention it is nitpicking. The ash was a mottled gray with some flake but I was impressed at the ash. On this review cigar I kept the ash for 4″ which was slightly more then the norm of others I have smoked. The draw was impeccable.

Overall (23/25): The majority of people I know prefer the 2003 over the 2006. And the question asked of me is how does the 2009 compare. Hands down it is better than the 2006. There is no comparison. However, when it comes down to the 09 vs the 03 the answer is more complicated. I like it better, but the difference is so close I am not even sure if a winner could be declared. I am curious to how I will feel in a few weeks when the cigar has been around for a while.

Have you had the 2009 yet? Which Tatuaje Cojonu do you prefer the 03, 06 or the 09?

Rating: 94
Price: $15.00 (NYC)
[Reply]
Tripp 01:16 PM 04-11-2009
Oooh, I need to get my hands on one of these. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
UPHOTO 02:02 PM 04-11-2009
Just bought one today!!! Great review
[Reply]
Green Lantern 08:53 PM 04-11-2009
:-) I'm so jealous, I can't wait to have the oppurtunity to fire one up.
[Reply]
poriggity 11:25 PM 04-11-2009
Yup, these are great.
Scott
[Reply]
huero71 12:06 AM 04-12-2009
I've got to get a box of these...:-)
[Reply]
shortstory5 12:46 AM 04-12-2009
Thanks for the review! I'm a big fan of the Cojonu Tats. I think my favorite is the 2003 though. The 2009 might be my next box purchase though(I just got a box of the 2003's).
[Reply]
kaelaria 01:17 AM 04-13-2009
Nice review - I'll keep my eyes open for a deal to try them!
[Reply]
TomHagen 12:40 AM 04-24-2009
Smoked one today as well. First, Tatuaje Cojonu 2003 has to be one of my favorite cigars. Also, very powerful, yet complex and balanced. I probably wouldn't buy another 2006, unless the price came down.

The 2009 is exactly 6 3/4" x 48. Pyrimade.

It does have a veiny wrapper and was a little soft, but a wonderful stick to look at. The mouthfeel was great and it kicked off with the classic Pepin-Tat Cojonu spices. This cigar like it's older incarnation is REALLY strong, maybe stronger, but I didn't have that much to eat today. It was complex and dynamic as well, I will definitely be smoking more, and be able to pick up the different nuances. For such a strong cigar with so much smoke, it was hard right off the bat to identify specific tastes, but it was definitely complex and kept my attention throughout. It was somewhat hard to differentiate from the 2003, but I haven't treated myself to one in awhile. Anyway, definite must try. Enjoy!!
[Reply]
montecristo#2 11:31 PM 05-03-2009
Smoked my first Cojonu 2009 tonight, straight out of the mail. I usually try to wait at least a month but this one was calling my name. I like the size, reminds me of the edmundo dantes conde 109 - a nice long smoke.

This was one of the better cigars I have smoked lately. It tasted like it had been resting for several months, no bitterness, very smooth. Not as full-bodied as the Cojonu 2003 or 2006 (or the reserva J21) in my opinion. I did not get the blast of pepper either, this one reminded me more of a noellas or especiales. I will definitely be picking up a box of these in the future.

In terms of construction, this one was top notch. Draw was good, burn was razor sharp and the ash was tight and white.
[Reply]
huero71 12:03 AM 05-04-2009
These reviews sound great. I'm supposed to pick up a box next week, and now I'm looking forward to it even more (if that's possible). :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 07:33 PM 05-04-2009
Great review. Out of the first two releases, I prefer the 2003. I'm going to pick up a couple of the '09s to sample. :-)
[Reply]
TomHagen 07:50 PM 05-04-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
Great review. Out of the first two releases, I prefer the 2003. I'm going to pick up a couple of the '09s to sample. :-)

of course! the general concensus is the 2003's are far superior. The 2009should be closer to that for you...
[Reply]
skullnrose 12:03 AM 07-08-2009
Smoked two over the last few days. Although I'm not smoking nearly as many NC sticks as I was a few years ago Tat's were always one I would bet on to be a good smoke. After being let down by the first one Two days later I fired up it's identical twin. The wrapper was perfect, Beautiful cap. The burn was perfect. Problem for me was it was bland where did the blast of spice the 03/06 had go? I tried everything to get some taste out of these two sticks. I snorked form start to finish and purged and purged. Had them in my humi since april so RH wasn't an issue. I'm glad some of you are enjoying these. I can appreciate the subtle flavors of a mild/med bodied stick but from these two sticks I got nothing. I prefer the 03 but would smoke either over the 09 in a heart beat.
[Reply]
SmokeyNL 12:06 AM 07-08-2009
Nice Review

Had one on the first day of our roadtrip, a very tasty cigar indeed, though I still like the 2003 better.
[Reply]
Up