Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Public Service Announcement
theoneandonly 04:53 PM 12-01-2010
You could use a lighter to heat up the key to get it in the key hole and warm it that way. If you can't get the key in at all use the lighter to heat up the lock. Just make sure there is no plastic or rubber around it that could melt. You need to be careful when doing this. Growing up Northwest Indiana, I saw this trick/technique used and it worked. I was a little kid then but was still amazed and remember thinking I need to remember that trick.
[Reply]
357 06:55 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by theoneandonly:
You could use a lighter to heat up the key to get it in the key hole and warm it that way. If you can't get the key in at all use the lighter to heat up the lock. Just make sure there is no plastic or rubber around it that could melt. You need to be careful when doing this. Growing up Northwest Indiana, I saw this trick/technique used and it worked. I was a little kid then but was still amazed and remember thinking I need to remember that trick.
Don't do this with a bic/zippo lighter. The fluid leaves gunk on the key which can gum up your lock. It can be cleaned out, but can be a pain.

Try WD-40 in the lock to keep water out. No water = No ice.
[Reply]
T.G 08:32 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by 357:
Don't do this with a bic/zippo lighter. The fluid leaves gunk on the key which can gum up your lock. It can be cleaned out, but can be a pain.

Try WD-40 in the lock to keep water out. No water = No ice.
FWIW - Bic lighters are butane, not liquid lighter fluid ala Zippo.
[Reply]
the MacDonald 09:36 AM 12-02-2010
I consider a frozen lock a clear message from God to stay the hell home.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up