Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Non conventional medicine that cures
Blueface 09:18 AM 11-30-2010
Wondering with all the herbs and various medicine practices, such as Chinese, that don't rely on conventional drugs, what works for you.

I have suffered from kidney stones for years. I am well over 15 now and losing track fast.
I have tried diets and have tried hydrochlorothiazide, which is a blood pressure medicine known to help prevent my kind of stones.
Nothing has worked.

About the time of my last stone (roughly nine months ago or so, give or take), I learned of a product from South America known to have great properties for flushing calcium from the kidneys, benefiting the liver also and properties to increase your LDL (the good cholesterol). I learned of this via the weirdest of forms. It came via my dog's holistic vet.

I have been on this pill form of this herb known as Chanc Piedra, or Breakstone in English, since then. I glad to say I have had no symptoms (which I would normally get at least a few times a month as the stones moved). Crossing my fingers and hoping this relatively cheap herb pill ($25 for 4 month supply) continues to work.

Here is material on Chanca Piedra if anyone is interested. Will assist anyone with kidney issues in general.
http://www.rain-tree.com/chanca.htm

Curious as to what works for others.
[Reply]
kenstogie 11:30 AM 11-30-2010
I have often wondered about other "non-traditional" medicines that have benefits but for whatever reason never made it to the US.
[Reply]
mikethegoalie32 11:39 AM 11-30-2010
I used to work an overnight shift at a 24 hour restaurant. I was uber congested one night and the other cook told me to take a shot of hot sauce. Instant clearing of all nasal and sinuses. Anytime I need to clear up, I will aim for the hot sauce, or rub some dry heat spices along my tongue.
[Reply]
akumushi 11:46 AM 11-30-2010
Another good cold/cough cure I use this:
I peel and grate a large piece(3-4inches) of ginger, put it in a french coffee press,
run half a pomegranate throught the food processor and add that, put some
honey to taste, and then a pot's worth of loose green tea leaves, then add
boiling water and let it steep for 5 minutes. The ginger soothes the throat
and loosens up the phlegm, and also reduces nausea if you have it, and the
other stuff loads you up with all kinds of antioxidants and vitimans:-)
[Reply]
aich75013 12:12 PM 11-30-2010
I chew Papaya tablets to help with heartburn. In fact I just bought some during my lunch break to keep at work.
We heard about it when my wife was pregnant.
Seems to work fairly well.
[Reply]
Conch Republican 12:44 PM 11-30-2010
Big believer that all that is FDA is not all there is! Melatonin for sleep, Fennel seeds for indigestion - settling the stomach, (shaved ginger steeped in hot water will help too), Vitamin D has been shown to prevent LOTS of issues - I know several doctors that take 4000u/day, these are some of the things in my regimen.

...Oh - and copius amounts of cigars - proven to lower my blood pressure! :-)
[Reply]
mikethegoalie32 01:40 PM 11-30-2010
cigars may be the best thing for stress relief on this planet.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 01:43 PM 11-30-2010
Still haven't found anything that a bottle of tequila can't alleviate.
[Reply]
357 02:08 PM 11-30-2010
Zanfel for poison ivy/oak/sumac. It is an OTC wash that breaks the chemical bond the urishoil has to your skin. Itching stops in 30 seconds, sores scab and swelling is reduced in hours. Systemic infection (when urishoil gets into your bloodstream) can cause it to popup in other places but Zanfel will work on the rash. Only steroids will reduce the timetable of a systemic infection, but as I said, Zanfel will cure the rash. In really bad spots you make have to use it more than once, but it is worth the cost.

That said, Walgreens sells a generic that works for 25% less $.

I know an OTC is not the thrust of the thread per se, but doctors will not prescribe Zanfel, as 99% of them are unaware of it. They will calamine lotion you to your itchy death.
[Reply]
Lumpold 02:27 PM 11-30-2010
I don't know how 'unconventional' it is, but tea tree oil works well as an antiseptic and antifungal.

Use a q-tip to apply neat to cuts, grazes and burns.

Mix into a bath and soak, or stir into hot water and rub down loacally, as an antifungal.
[Reply]
Martel 04:36 AM 12-01-2010
Has anyone given acupuncture a try? I've been thinking about it.

I see a chiropractor on an as needed basis, works well for me.

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:26 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by Martel:

I see a chiropractor on an as needed basis, works well for me.

Cheers,
G
There's a chinese herbalist down the street from me and I used it exclusively to treat any sickness about a decade ago when I did not have health insurance. They would do free consultations too!

New England School of Acupuncture is mile away from me and I went to treat my back pain. I had needles in my scalp, heals, all over the back. Some of the needles I actually laid down on!

That being said, it worked to block pain, but was temporary and not a "cure" for my issue. That isn't to say some other issue would fair better. I would recommend it and it does not hurt.

With acupuncture, iridology, and a triple colonic and you'll be good to go :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 06:07 AM 12-01-2010
Originally Posted by Martel:

G
I was shocked to see what this did for me.

I have had two herniated discs for over 20 years.
Lots of pain killers, therapy, chiros, epidural blocks and on and on.

Less than two years ago, while on a cruise, my back went really bad from day one.
Could barely walk or sit.
Went to the spa since read they had acupuncture and was willing to try anything.
Almost instantly, I was dancing the night away.
Went for a second treatment while on the ship and have not had an issue with my back since then.

Yeah, I now believe in it for sure.
Thanks for reminding me of this event as it is clearly an example of non conventional medicine at work.
[Reply]
Up