Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Entertainment>The Hobbit
Chainsaw13 12:11 PM 12-17-2012
Originally Posted by gnbikes:
i enjoyed it, but the combination of HFR and 3-D was a little much for me. I'm planning on going again, but sticking w/ regular screen next time. That way I can enjoy the movie w/out "distractions.
Garry-
That was my problem. We did the Imax 3D and ended up sitting on the right side of the theater. Caused for some ghosting of the 3D images. Next time it's regular ole 2D.
[Reply]
Apoco 12:24 PM 12-17-2012
I sat smack dab in the middle at the midnight release HFR, 3D.

Loved every minute of it...after the first 10 minutes or so. The HFR takes some getting used to - but by the end I found myself gawking at how amazing everything looked. There was minimal "pop out" stuff in regards to the 3D - it felt to be mostly depth to me.

I'm wanting to go see it again in 24 FPS just to see how it compares.

Alright - technical stuff aside now - the movie itself was very true to the book. Some of the folks at the theater (like myself) enjoyed this quite a bit - knowing what to expect from a Tolkien book told his in fashion. I heard complaints that there "was too much talking" and that it "took too long to start". I guess that it is all a matter of expectation. It is a slower movie than any of the LotR's were. Those movies focused more on the battles because it was 1 movie to cover a 400-500 page book. The Hobbit being split up into 3 pieces (with some added content from The Simirillion and footnotes from Return of the King) - it can be closer to a direct translation of book -> movie.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Bax 12:34 PM 12-17-2012
I saw it in IMAX yesterday, I enjoyed it. I have no idea why some were giving it terrible reviews.
[Reply]
OLS 02:56 PM 12-20-2012
I will not be seeing this. The first trilogy, I aged like 9 years getting to the end. I will be dead and
gone before they make a third Hobbit movie and release it, I bet. Its like watching Big Brother and
Survivor in the same year, by the time you have two winners, its another damn year off your life.
[Reply]
jcruse64 05:25 PM 12-22-2012
Saw it this week with my niece; she wanted the 3D version. I hesitated, after seeing bad tech reviews on some recent 3D films, but we went 3D anyway. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the visual quality; it popped nicely and I can't wait to see Smaug coming out of the screen.

Loved the movie also. I, too, liked them bringing in parts of the Middle Earth story from the LOR appendices. Saruman's attitude in the council was exactly as I'd expected from reading. Also liked seeing Radagast and the Witch King. I, too, think 3 films will be a bit overkill, but these guys need the money, I guess, and they should be able to include everything in the book and related LOR appendices. I know it would have been too long, but I'd have loved to have more of the LOR parts of the books that were left out put into the movie series. Especially more of Rohan's journey to fight for Gondor, all of Aragorn's fights with his ghost army, and I especially would like to have seen how they handled Tom Bombadil! Also should have left the Saruman/Shire ending of book 3 in the movie.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 07:02 PM 01-16-2013
Too much "It's not a movie, it's a RIDE!" nonsense. Plus he mucked with the story too much. Made me angry.
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:02 PM 01-16-2013
I think most of the crap reviews come from it having very little relation to what actually happened in the book. My wife and I saw it, and she kept asking me questions because I had read the book, I kept having to say "I have no idea this wasn't in the book."

It was a good movie but it didn't hold as close to the book as LOTR, and LOTR didn't exactly set a high bar.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up