Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Casa Magna Oscuro robusto
Don Fernando 09:54 AM 05-16-2010
Casa Magna became Cigar Aficionado's cigar of the year 2008 and that caused quite a stir amongst cigar lovers worldwide. Not a lot of people understood why Cigar Aficionado rated this cigar so high, and I must admit, I am one of those people. I smoked the Casa Magna robusto before and even though I liked it, I didn't think it was deserving of the title "cigar of the year". Well, Manuel Quesada and Nestor Plascencia decided to use the same blend with an oscuro wrapper instead of a colorado wrapper and release it under the name Casa Magna Oscuro. This 5x52 cigar was bombed to me by Joetownhound.

The cigar looks great with the nice silver version of the normal Casa Magna band. The deep dark and oily wrapper only has one vein. The aroma is light but rich and reminds me of a barnyard. The construction feels tight, but equally tight everywhere, I can't find soft spots. The wrapper is quite thick, that makes the cigar hard to punch. The predraw is good and leaves a mild raisin flavor on my palate.

I taste a medium full earth flavor which has a warm and comfortable feel to it. I also taste a mild dark chocolate aftertaste. The flavors are subtle and dry. The flavors slowly gain some strength and less subtle. After an inch the chocolate disappears and instead I taste some herbs, also dry in texture.

Halfway the dark chocolate returns and is clearly noticeable. At ⅔ I taste wood, earth and herbs, still dry in texture. The herbs become the main flavor.

Even though this cigar is just 5 inch, I puffed on it for two hours and fifteen minutes. The cigar produces a lot of smoke which is quite thick. The draw is fine and the pepper and salt colored ash is firm. The burn was good too. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, I liked it, just like the normal Casa Magna

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:33 PM 05-16-2010
Excellent review Ferdie...thanks for sharing!! Sounds like my kind of stick!! :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:02 PM 05-16-2010
Thanks for the review Ferdie. I have smoked one of these and also enjoyed it.
[Reply]
maninblack 04:07 AM 05-17-2010
Thanks for the review! Will be looking for these.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 09:18 AM 05-17-2010
Great review!!

A local B&M just had these on sale...should have jumped on them.
[Reply]
bishjd123 09:47 AM 05-17-2010
Great review. I've had both variants of the Casa Magna and I liked the Oscuro better.
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:23 AM 05-17-2010
Cool review, Thanks. My daughter uses Casa Magna box for her marbles, nice box too.
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:12 PM 05-17-2010
I really like the Casa Magna, both colorado and oscuro....thanks Ferdie :-)
[Reply]
Up