Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Opus X Power Ranger
GHC_Hambone 01:18 AM 06-29-2009
Well this is it. My first Opus after 3 years of cigar smoking, and I guess this is going to be my "official" birthday smoke. This cigar has a beautiful red-brown wrapper, and it even smells a little spicy. I clipped a bit off the torpedo head but it seemed a little tight. Clipped a little more. Perfect. I lit this up around 11:-)5pm.

The first few puffs were a blast of cedary spice, yet smooth with no harshness. Giving off a very nice aroma. After settling in there were mostly pepper flavors with a bit of sweetness. Very smooth. Midway there were still the pepper and cedar notes with that slight sweetness.

Around this time I officially turned 21! Still the same flavors. Not a complex cigar to me, but enjoyable nonetheless. Definitely not regretting my cigar choice.

Around 1 AM I was coming up on the nub. Still a woody spice bomb with that hint of sweetness. Even the after taste has a smoky woody sweetness to it. It seemed a little strange to me, but the end seemed to have less of the pepper flavors but more of the cedar and sweet notes.

I always assumed I prefer milder cigars, but smokes like these change my mind. I don't like the harshness that comes with some stronger smokes, but this one didn't have any. It may be because I don't usually smoke really strong cigars that this one seemed a little one-dimensional.

So was it worth the price? Yes. Would I search the ends of the world looking for them? No, but it sure would be nice to have a few on hand for special occasions like this. Overall I would give this a 9.3/10.

I know this is getting to be a long review but I wanted to say thanks to SmokinCozy for a chance to try this cigar. I have had trouble finding them at a reasonable price and he hooked me up with a good deal. I also wanted to thank the CA community in general for 3 great years of cigar smoking. The advice and friendship I have received here have been invaluable. Thanks to all and cheers!
[Reply]
darkninja67 01:50 AM 06-29-2009
Nice review. Good stick for a birthday celebration as well.

I like the Power Ranger quite a bit but also enjoy the larger gauged brothers.

Definitely a smoke that you take your time with.

oh yeah, happy birthday!
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:03 AM 06-29-2009
Happy birthday bro:-) Your 21 ehh? Maybe buy yourself a nice bottle of Lagavulin 16 year to celebrate:-) Thanks for the review, and I also keep a couple power rangers in my humi:-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:10 AM 06-29-2009
Or buy a bottle of Zaya and figure out what everyone is talking about.
[Reply]
Wanger 01:59 PM 06-29-2009
I've smoked plenty of Opus, but never had a Power Ranger. Thankfully I got one in the NC MAW, and will be smoking it soon, I hope. They are legendary for their strength, especially when fresh.

And as for the Zaya...leave the Guatemalan alone. :-)
[Reply]
Up