Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Discussion>Estate Pipe Salvage Work: Before/After
atlharp 07:38 AM 07-26-2009
Originally Posted by TheTraveler:
I'm not 100% certain that this post belongs in this thread since it wasn't a used/estate pipe but, since I did find it languishing in a dark corner of an out-of-the-way antique store, despairing of ever finding a good home and burning good tobacco (pipes have feelings too you know!) I thought i'd post it here anyway.

Today I picked up this pristine, unsmoked meer for $25 at an antique shop in Virginia. Soon after taking these photos I filled the bowl with my favorite tobacco and fired it up! :-)

There is no name or marking of any kind on this pipe so I have no idea of its provenance. It's also my first meer and I have no experience with meers so I can't even tell if it's block or pressed (can you experienced meer smokers actually tell that at a glance?). I do know that there were no cracks or chips on it and it was completely unsmoked! :-)

Nice find there! It's nice when you find an old treasure like that just laying around unused. I got a Savenelli the other day that was on sale for $42, and it has been smoking nicely!

ATL
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:01 PM 01-09-2010
Another Brakner (1212 Cherrywood) returned to glory.

Great smoker - two bowl of Rattrays Brown Clunee today.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 07:10 PM 01-09-2010
Nice work MM.
I love that shape.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 08:07 PM 01-09-2010
Originally Posted by JaKaacH:
Nice work MM.
I love that shape.
Thx. That one went from scars to stars in one evening. I've been waiting for the right sitter to come along for some time and this one is definitely it.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:12 PM 01-09-2010
Wow Mister Moo. You might have a new business venture in your future. I'd surely pay you to work some magic on a few estate pipes.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 06:29 AM 01-10-2010
my question is how did you do it?
They look amazing
[Reply]
BigFrank 07:40 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Wow Mister Moo. You might have a new business venture in your future. I'd surely pay you to work some magic on a few estate pipes.
agreed, I have a couple of old briars that were gifted / won and need some spit shine.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 08:52 AM 01-10-2010
Originally Posted by Tuxguy:
my question is how did you do it?
They look amazing
Senior Reamer, kosher coarse salt, eyedropper, Everclear, 20-30 pipe cleaners, MicroMesh wet sanding (the bit, not the briar!) from 2500 to 12,000 fine, spit/oilsoap/electric toothbrush/lots of paper towels/Halcyon for wood, steam the dents, stain the nicks, olive oil finish on the stem. 60-120 minutes per pipe. You have to WANT to do this - go slow - practice first on a PAS - or pass it to a pro who won't ruin stuff by not sweating the details.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:57 AM 01-10-2010
I definitely need to change up my sand paper for stems. The stuff I use is way too fine. I went through about 6 sheets and barely got rid of any oxidation.
[Reply]
Curly Cut 08:16 AM 03-01-2010
anyone use a Butner Style Reamer before? would it do the job on something not super seriously clogged? or is it better to spend the extra cash on a Senior Reamer?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up