Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Another Ammonia Question
Tenor CS 03:21 PM 11-11-2009
I know there has been a lot of discussion of the "nasty ammonia" taste that some young cigars have. However, in my searches, I have not found a quick and dirty answer to this dilemma:

Please correct these assumptions of mine if they are incorrect:

Assumption #1: All tobacco releases ammonia as it ages. Therefore, young cigars will always have at least a hint of ammonia smell/flavor.

Assumption #2: Cigars in a closed environment (vino, tupperdor, really tight seal on a wood humi) will be trapped in that environment with the ammonia scent.

I have a lot of sticks (probably about 200+) in a vino that rarely gets opened. As a result, I have a lot of sticks that are aging nicely, but the vast majority of my collection does have a nasty ammonia scent.

So my questions are:

1. Are my cigars ruined now?
2. Is there a way I can find a stick I want to smoke, notice it has an ammonia scent to it, and make it smokable quickly, without waiting years for it to age all of its ammonia-ness out?
3. Is there anything I can do to "air out" my ammonia-tainted cigars?

At the moment, I am enjoying a Taboo. I don't even know which one it is. It's about 6.5" long. Maybe a 58 or 60 rg. And a very dark maduro wrapper. No hint of ammonia, and it's delicious. Best cigar I've grabbed out of the vino in 2-3 months.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 03:25 PM 11-11-2009
As an addendum to my OP, the vino is set at 66 degrees and 62-63% RH using several pounds of Heartfelt beads.
[Reply]
md4958 03:30 PM 11-11-2009
A way you can speed up the removal of ammonia is to open your vino for a few minutes every day. You will not get as beautiful "ageing"(quoted MRN) but you will have smokeable cigars faster.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:33 PM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
So my questions are:

1. Are my cigars ruined now?
2. Is there a way I can find a stick I want to smoke, notice it has an ammonia scent to it, and make it smokable quickly, without waiting years for it to age all of its ammonia-ness out?
3. Is there anything I can do to "air out" my ammonia-tainted cigars?
1. No. Let them stew in their own brew. Less air exchange = better aging.
2. Dry box it for a week or two.
3. If you are aging them, let them sit. If you want to smoke them, open the vino and let it air out daily. Also, dry box or take the box and let them sit out for a few days.

:-)
[Reply]
Tenor CS 03:43 PM 11-11-2009
Thanks for the responses, guys. I do have a small (20 count) humi laying around. Would it be a good idea for me to put maybe 2-3 sticks that I would like to smoke in the next 7-10 days in there to get them out of the vino to (hopefully) air out before smoking them?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:44 PM 11-11-2009
Thanks for the responses, guys. I do have a small (20 count) humi laying around. Would it be a good idea for me to put maybe 2-3 sticks that I would like to smoke in the next 7-10 days in there to get them out of the vino to (hopefully) air out before smoking them?
Sure, that's what I do. I have a dry desktop loaded with smokes I think I might get to soon in there.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 03:45 PM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
3. If you are aging them, let them sit.
I am not trying to age my sticks. However, I did go on a huge spending spree when I first started, and then realized that I am one of those guys who really can only handle smoking maybe 1 cigar a week, maybe 2-3 tops. And I go through droughts where I won't smoke for six weeks sometimes. As a result, I can probably go for 3-4 YEARS based on my current stock.
[Reply]
Tenor CS 03:46 PM 11-11-2009
Sure, that's what I do. I have a dry desktop loaded with smokes I think I might get to soon in there.
"Dry" desktop = no humidification device of any sort?
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 04:03 PM 11-11-2009
It's also my understanding that amonia taste can be attributed to poor fermentation time. :-)
[Reply]
SmokinApe 04:10 PM 11-11-2009
IMO, unless you are trying to age the cigars for a few years (5+ IMO) I am not really sure it will thwart the aging process to open the humi and air them out from time to time...

It sounds to me like the vino is a place to stash the sticks you are smoking ISO of a place to age which is fine... the cigars in there will continue to age just not in the most optimum way (according to some)...
[Reply]
SmokinApe 04:11 PM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by RPguy:
It's also my understanding that amonia taste can be attributed to poor fermentation time. :-)
Not sure I would say poor... But it true that the longer you ferment the less "stuff" there is to breakdown and create ammonia...
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:11 PM 11-11-2009
Yep. Nary a one. :-)
[Reply]
SmokinApe 04:15 PM 11-11-2009
Unless you are storing your cigars at a high humidity and are having draw or burn problems as a result you do not need to dry box IMO... It sounds (from your posts) like you have a solid and reliable humidification system and that your cigars smoke well... Just make sure you rotate your stock and air out the vino from time to time and you will be fine... If you grab a stick that smells off, put it back and grab another... It sounds like you have a nice selection to choose from...
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:18 PM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
Unless you are storing your cigars at a high humidity and are having draw or burn problems as a result you do not need to dry box IMO... It sounds (from your posts) like you have a solid and reliable humidification system and that your cigars smoke well... Just make sure you rotate your stock and air out the vino from time to time and you will be fine... If you grab a stick that smells off, put it back and grab another... It sounds like you have a nice selection to choose from...
True it is a preference thing. I keep my cigars 59-63% but I like to smoke them when they are even dryer. I think the flavor "pops" a little more.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 04:24 PM 11-11-2009
True it is a preference thing. I keep my cigars 59-63% but I like to smoke them when they are even dryer. I think the flavor "pops" a little more.
Agreed, I keep my stuff in the 60% range...
[Reply]
Tenor CS 11:05 AM 11-12-2009
I'm thread-jacking my own thread. I have a nice 3 finger leather case that I got as a freebie with a sampler. I have some sticks in there that have been in there for a few days. Now they smell leathery, which is more pleasant than ammonia, to be sure, but I don't want to feel like I'm smoking a saddle. I usually prefer my 5-count Cigar Caddy, as the thing is practically bulletproof, but I have been thinking of using my 3 finger leather case instead when I go out to the B&M to smoke.

Questions:

Will the leathery smell affect the taste of the cigars? Positively or negatively?
If negative, do I do the same "airing out" process to get the sticks back to "normal?"
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 11:28 AM 11-12-2009
Just finished a cigar with Scott aka FFFer. An AVO 80th, one of my all time favs. However, as I got down to the band or so I picked up the amonia taste we have been discussing. I let the cigar go out as Scott and I were chatting away. Once I fired the cigar back up, NO AMONIA! Not sure why and I normally don't enjoy a relight as much. But it may be a new found trick! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 11:38 AM 11-12-2009
Originally Posted by RPguy:
Just finished a cigar with Scott aka FFFer. An AVO 80th, one of my all time favs. However, as I got down to the band or so I picked up the amonia taste we have been discussing. I let the cigar go out as Scott and I were chatting away. Once I fired the cigar back up, NO AMONIA! Not sure why and I normally don't enjoy a relight as much. But it may be a new found trick! :-)
Interesting, Jaime. The Only Time I Had Ammonia Problems is when I First Started In This Hobby And Thought Cigars Were Ideally Stored @ 70 RH. After I Kept Them No Higher Than 65, No Problem. I Wonder If The Humidity Somehow Was A Little Higher In That One Stick, And It Dried Out Sufficiently In The Room Air.
[Reply]
Up