Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Box scraping question
jdp 12:09 PM 12-17-2011
Any idea what was scraped off the bottom of my box of Arturo Fuente Anejo Robustos? Pics attached.

It's not really a huge deal.. just thought it was funny they cut a bit of the cellophane and then scraped either the box code or something else off the bottom. This was purchased through a major internet reseller.

Thanks in advance.

Jay
Attached: bottom.jpg (18.5 KB) top.jpg (18.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:17 PM 12-17-2011
Probably the original price!:-)
[Reply]
jdp 12:24 PM 12-17-2011
I bet your 100% correct. Since these cigars go way higher than retail.

Thanks.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:03 PM 12-17-2011
More likely they removed the date code. Boxes do not come from the factory with retail pricing. :-)
[Reply]
Taki 01:06 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
More likely they removed the date code. Boxes do not come from the factory with retail pricing. :-)
Dido..:-) although I never bought a box of them so not 100%
[Reply]
DaBear 04:53 PM 12-17-2011
They do come from wholesalers though with wholesale pricing, which is generally more than half off retail. Stores have to pay for taxes when they buy a box of cigars based on wholesale price, which varies state to state, but can be pretty damn high sometimes. A lot of times wholesalers do write their pricing on the cellophane wrapped box with sharpie, and if theres a slight knick in that wrap it could end up bleeding through.
[Reply]
bobarian 05:25 PM 12-17-2011
Originally Posted by DaBear:
They do come from wholesalers though with wholesale pricing, which is generally more than half off retail. Stores have to pay for taxes when they buy a box of cigars based on wholesale price, which varies state to state, but can be pretty damn high sometimes. A lot of times wholesalers do write their pricing on the cellophane wrapped box with sharpie, and if theres a slight knick in that wrap it could end up bleeding through.
I have never seen this on any retail product, including cigars. Why would a wholesaler bother to open master cases to price individual product? In my experience only the Purchase order lists pricing.

A retailer might price individual boxes and this is often removed when sold to another retailer or on the secondary market. Wholesale pricing in any industry is a carefully guarded secret. :-)
[Reply]
DaBear 05:29 PM 12-17-2011
I have never seen this on any retail product, including cigars. Why would a wholesaler bother to open master cases to price individual product? In my experience only the Purchase order lists pricing.

A retailer might price individual boxes and this is often removed when sold to another retailer or on the secondary market. Wholesale pricing in any industry is a carefully guarded secret. :-)
Emphasis on the second part of what I said, we have had quite a few boxes come in with sharpie'd on prices on the cello which could leak through if the cello tears and get on the box leaving the pricing.
[Reply]
Up