Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Why should I eat something first?
Locke6169 08:52 AM 06-30-2015
I was in my local B&M last week looking for some new sticks to try. The manager recommended a La Flor Dominicana Oro Tubo Maduro. When I bought it he told me that I should eat something before I smoke it. Now I know I'm new to the cigar world, but I have never had to eat something before I smoke my pipe. What's the reasoning behind this?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:54 AM 06-30-2015
I'm guessing it's a very strong cigar and if you aren't used to it the nicotine will make you a bit queazy.
[Reply]
14holestogie 08:57 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I'm guessing it's a very strong cigar and if you aren't used to it the nicotine will make you a bit queazy.
Been there, done that. :-)
[Reply]
czerbe 09:16 AM 06-30-2015
Yes smoking a strong cigar on an empty stomach can sometimes not be a great idea. Also head over to the New guy thread and introduce yourself!
[Reply]
shilala 09:29 AM 06-30-2015
If you ever do find yourself in the "empty stomach nicotine is making me sick" situation, candy will get you back out.
[Reply]
Locke6169 09:56 AM 06-30-2015
Oh ok, Than would not be good at all.

Originally Posted by czerbe:
Yes smoking a strong cigar on an empty stomach can sometimes not be a great idea. Also head over to the New guy thread and introduce yourself!
I did a few days ago
[Reply]
massphatness 10:15 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
Been there, done that. :-)
Brings back memories of my first ever herf. So excited that I skipped lunch. Flash forward a few hours later. Sitting in a smoke filled room having gone through 4 or 5 cigars, the last of which was an LFD Chiselito. Gently rocking back and forth. Holding my stomach. Praying I wasn't going vomit. A thin trail of sweat slowly making it's way past my ear. I looked greener than this guy, no doubt >>> :-) Good times!
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 10:52 AM 06-30-2015
:-)
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Brings back memories of my first ever herf. So excited that I skipped lunch. Flash forward a few hours later. Sitting in a smoke filled room having gone through 4 or 5 cigars, the last of which was an LFD Chiselito. Gently rocking back and forth. Holding my stomach. Praying I wasn't going vomit. A thin trail of sweat slowly making it's way past my ear. I looked greener than this guy, no doubt >>> :-) Good times!

[Reply]
Locke6169 10:53 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Not a look that I want to try and replicate:-):-)
[Reply]
markem 11:01 AM 06-30-2015
You missed an opportunity to ask him why. It could be because of possible nicotine poisoning or it could be that it complements a meal really well. Getting his take could have been quite useful, especially if he has ideas on what to eat beforehand.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:09 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
You missed an opportunity to ask him why. It could be because of possible nicotine poisoning or it could be that it complements a meal really well. Getting his take could have been quite useful, especially if he has ideas on what to eat beforehand.
+1

BBQ followed by a Party Topper. :-)
[Reply]
Locke6169 11:18 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
You're definitely right but it kind of caught me off guard so I didn't think about it.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:36 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
If you ever do find yourself in the "empty stomach nicotine is making me sick" situation, candy will get you back out.
+1. Anything that gets your blood sugar up will do the trick. Apparently, too much nicotine causes your body to react by pumping insulin into your bloodstream. If the insulin has no sugar to deal with, it starts making you sick.

I normally always have a cigar after a meal. But on the few occasions I've gotten ill I like to take about a teaspoon of honey and put it under my tongue.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:06 AM 07-01-2015
Strong cigars should be after meal, just as a light cigar after a meal isn't as splendid.
[Reply]
jjirons69 08:14 AM 07-01-2015
That candy trick never worked too well for me. Once the green monkey crawls on my back only sweet time will help. I've been green around the gills a couple of times after big meals while drinking sugary sodas. Maybe I'm just a vag.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 10:27 AM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
That candy trick never worked too well for me. Once the green monkey crawls on my back only sweet time will help. I've been green around the gills a couple of times after big meals while drinking sugary sodas. Maybe I'm just a vag.
:-)

Yeah, definitely been green a few times when I first started. I will never forget the time I went for a run and came back and smoked a relatively strong cigar. To this day, I have yet to smoke that same cigar.

I believe my blood sugar was low from running, which leads me to believe adding a little sugar if I am feeling the strength of a cigar will minimize some sickness.
[Reply]
Up