Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva O Classic
borndead1 11:50 AM 09-09-2009
Got this one in an old school Oliva bomb from papajohn. He smacked me with cigars I haven't seen in years. This is the last of the bunch. :-)

This isn't one of the cloth band ones, it's a normal paper band with a second band that says "Classic". About a toro-sized cigar in perfect condition. No soft spots and the draw is absolutely perfect.

First few draws are a BIG spice blast through the nose. They grow some nice tobacco down there in Nicaragua. :-)

The cigar settles down a bit, but not too much, after about half an inch. Still quite spicy through the nose, with leather and earth on the finish.

About 1" in, the smoke start developing a nice "depth" to the flavor, a characteristic that I have only noticed in full-flavored Nicaraguan cigars, certain Camacho cigars, and Cubans. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying this Oliva tastes Cuban. But the flavor is multi-dimensional like a Cuban. Lots of subtle flavor changes. Spice, earth, soft fruit, even a mint/pine sort of flavor.

About halfway...same sort of flavor changes, but the "strength" of the cigar is picking up a bit. The burn is picture perfect.

Man, I am enjoying this cigar. Who says you can't age NCs? :-)

Thanks again, papajohn! A truly rare opportunity.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:11 PM 09-09-2009
Nice Review! I smoked Oliva O's & G's both Nat & Mad. Had burn issues & Taste was so-so. After 1.5 years of rest they were all excellent!:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:01 PM 09-09-2009
Papajohn sent one to me awhile back. I have yet to smoke it!!!

I think I might have to spark it up!!!

Thanks for the review!!!
:-)
[Reply]
jal 04:35 PM 09-09-2009
I had an Oliva G this weekend. Great taste all the way down to the very end. Never got that hot burn. I loved it.
[Reply]
Coz77 06:22 AM 09-10-2009
Oliva O natural is one of my favorites Olivas. I like it better then the V.

I'm going out on a limb here... but I'm almost certain the Famous Olor Nicaragua is the same blend as the O with the exception of the wrapper.

Oliva O - Sun-Grown Habano
Olor Nic - Ecuadorian Habano-seed wrapper

Nevertheless both great smokes and good review.
[Reply]
Up