Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Florida recommendations
Don Fernando 03:35 PM 04-02-2010
I'm going to EPIC in November and I am in the process of planning my trip to Florida. I want to stay for about 3 weeks, and I am thinking about a week in Miami, a week in the Orlando area and then a few days at the herf.

Now what I definitely want to do is drive down to the keys, spend a few days at Calle Ocho, visit a gator farm, smoke @ Corona, visit Bill @ Island Smoke shop and go to the shootingrange with Catfish.

What else should I do while I am down there?
[Reply]
Blueface 03:58 PM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
I'm going to EPIC in November and I am in the process of planning my trip to Florida. I want to stay for about 3 weeks, and I am thinking about a week in Miami, a week in the Orlando area and then a few days at the herf.

Now what I definitely want to do is drive down to the keys, spend a few days at Calle Ocho, visit a gator farm, smoke @ Corona, visit Bill @ Island Smoke shop and go to the shootingrange with Catfish.

What else should I do while I am down there?
If you are going to the keys and have never been there, Key West is a must.
Check out other current threads on that.

In the Miami area, tons to do.
South Beach is a must.
Coconut Grove is a must.
Obviously for a cigar lover, all the factories in the Miami area are a must.
Cuban restaurants are a must (forget the tourist traps - gotta go to Molina's Ranch in Hialeah for the best Cuban food, period).
Miami is a tourist Mecca. Tons of stuff to do. Budget and likes important.

As for Corona, been there done that. Nice place but I think you will have more fun visiting the many great folks at their factories like Willie (Titan), Padilla, Ernesto at La Gloria, Pepin, Padron, Perdomo, etc.

Orland is another tourist Mecca. Again, tons and tons to do and eat, just like Miami. Budget and tastes will be necessary to help out more.
[Reply]
Eleven 07:00 PM 04-02-2010
I think you are too far south but, St. Augustine is nice for Cigar Smokers.

I found several decent B&M's, and there is a nice little joint just around the corner from the 'old city' area.

If you do find yourself up that way, fire one up!
[Reply]
G G 07:05 PM 04-02-2010
I could prolly make it to St Augustine to see you
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:07 PM 04-02-2010
I think you should just stay with me for three weeks... We could work the cows and take care of the rental properties!! Not much mowing to do at that time of year... so we could mostly just smoke.
[Reply]
G G 07:10 PM 04-02-2010
:-)
[Reply]
MiamiE 07:26 PM 04-02-2010
Pepin, Padron, Padilla, Sosa, Perdomo are some of the factories here. Sabor Havana is the best shop IMO. For sure drive to Key West!
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:32 PM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
I think you should just stay with me for three weeks... We could work the cows and take care of the rental properties!! Not much mowing to do at that time of year... so we could mostly just smoke.
Sounds good to me. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:34 PM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Sounds good to me. :-)
The offer is good for you too:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:27 PM 04-02-2010
The offer is good for you too:-)
Brent...if I had three weeks...I'd be there in a minute brother!! I can hear my wife now..."You're herfing for how long? :-) :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 02:55 AM 04-03-2010
Just take your cows and have them mow the grass for you. Three weeks and my wife would kill me. I say wife since we'll be married by then :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:11 AM 04-03-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
If you are going to the keys and have never been there, Key West is a must.
Check out other current threads on that.

In the Miami area, tons to do.
South Beach is a must.
Coconut Grove is a must.
Obviously for a cigar lover, all the factories in the Miami area are a must.
Cuban restaurants are a must (forget the tourist traps - gotta go to Molina's Ranch in Hialeah for the best Cuban food, period).
Miami is a tourist Mecca. Tons of stuff to do. Budget and likes important.

As for Corona, been there done that. Nice place but I think you will have more fun visiting the many great folks at their factories like Willie (Titan), Padilla, Ernesto at La Gloria, Pepin, Padron, Perdomo, etc.

Orland is another tourist Mecca. Again, tons and tons to do and eat, just like Miami. Budget and tastes will be necessary to help out more.
Visiting the factories is high on the list and I will spend a few days doing that, last time we only had a day at Calle Ocho of which we spend most time at Titan (no Willie though) and Bill took us to a great Cuban restaurant, but since my WLS food isn't high on the list anyway :-)

is Ybor a "must see" thing, and how about Tampa?

The budget depends on how much Brent's paying me to scare his cows and destroy his rental properties :-)
[Reply]
guado 05:00 AM 04-03-2010
Ybor is tiny. Lots of history in the city. Only a couple shops that roll on premises nowdays. It's a cool hangout and we have lots of shops in the tampa area. However to go waaaay out of your way from miami is hard to say.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 05:19 AM 04-03-2010
I will be in FL for 3 weeks, not staying 3 weeks in Miami only. Tampa is shops only, or are there still some factories to visit?
[Reply]
CheapHumidors 01:32 PM 04-07-2010
Tampa has some factories, but we have some amazing shops with incredible selections here. You should definitely come visit, maybe go to Ybor and watch them roll.

If you're in Orlando, hit up Corona's on Sand Lake road.

If you visit Tampa, check out King Corona's in Ybor (not a huge selection, but they've got beer/wine and a good location). Cigar Castle on 56th Street has an ABSURDLY well stocked humidor and free beer (when they're not out).

Let me know if you can make it to Tampa! I always like meeting up with people for a stogie or three!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:01 AM 04-08-2010
I think I have my general trip planned.

Fly into Orlando, smoke at Corona, then off to Gainesville for a wednesday beer night with the Gainesville crew. Visit some attractions in the Orlando area (want to go to gatorworld for sure), hook up with Catfish to go shooting somewhere in the weekend. Then off to Miami for a week to 10 days. And on the way back to Ocala for Epic I will take a detour and visit Tampa/Ybor.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 05:59 AM 04-20-2010
I will fly into Orlando on tuesday oct 26 and stay in the Orlando area a few days, visiting gatorworld, Corona cigar company, drink beer with the UF kids in Gainesville, shoot n herf in the weekend and maybe visit Satellite beach too.

Then I will drive to Miami on tuesday nov 2nd, already booked a hotel on Ocean Drive. Want to drive to Key West, take a daytrip on the Everglades, spend some time at Calle Ocho, visit Bill at the Island Smoke Shop and just be a regular tourist.

Thursday the 11th I will drive to Tampa and visit Ybor, booked a room at the Hilton garden inn. The next morning I will head to Ocala for EPIC!

So if the local crews want to herf, lemme know, I'm game.
[Reply]
Up