Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Entertainment>Manly Book Suggestions
PeteSB75 12:50 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by Wolfgang:
New Moon :-)
:-)

I don't think abstinent, sparkly vampires count as manly, sorry...

I'd suggest "Drink, Play, F@#k" by Andrew Gottlieb
[Reply]
e-man67 01:01 PM 06-23-2009
Sonny Barger autobiography.....founder of the Hells Angels. pretty interesting.
[Reply]
Starscream 06:20 PM 06-27-2009
Anything by Hemingway.

The Rum Diaries by Hunter Thompson
[Reply]
GhostRyder 06:48 PM 06-27-2009
Shadow Divers. Great book about deep sea diving and the expolaration of various shipwrecks in the Atlantic.

On Killing/On Combat are manly and quite good.

Kiss or Kill: Confessions of a Serial Climber by Mark Twight. This guy is sick nasty at climbing mountains. Now he runs Gym Jones, the gym that trained the "Spartans" in 300 to look all ripped and hairless.

Hemingway, Krakauer, are both good suggestions, quite manly.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 08:50 PM 06-27-2009
At Dawn we Slept by Gordon Prange

Great account of the sometimes lesser addressed theater of WWII.

Based on firsthand accounts and interviews. Good historical account. We're loosing too many of our WWII vets way too fast....
[Reply]
Starscream 08:57 PM 06-27-2009
Depending on your literary level, you may enjoy Faulkner. He writes about manly things from a Southern p-o-v. If your not a fan of Modernism, I would stay away, but if you're cool w/ stream of conscious technique, plotlines that jump all over the place, and sentences that may last a page or more, then Faulkner is a good man's author. If you're not familiar with his work, I would suggest checking out some of his short stories first, such as "Barn Burning". If your into the modernist era of literature, I would suggest his masterpeice, Absolom, Absolom!.
[Reply]
:eevis 07:01 PM 06-29-2009
Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People: The Memoirs of the Greatest Gambler Who Ever Lived - Amarillio Slim Preston

1984 & Animal Farm - George Orwell
[Reply]
kgoings 09:28 PM 06-29-2009
nice list here!
[Reply]
rhdad42 03:08 PM 06-30-2009
Ghost Soldiers: The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission
by Hampton Sides -- great book about the U.S. Army Rangers rescue of the survivors of the Bataan Death March.

The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge by David McCullough -- another fantastic book, especially for us New Yorkers
[Reply]
poker 03:22 PM 06-30-2009

[Reply]
SchizoFilly 03:33 PM 06-30-2009
Chuck Palahniuk has some pretty messed up stuff to read. George Carlin also wrote some hilarious stuff.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:46 PM 06-30-2009
I love Faulkner, but you said you're tired of fiction. That given, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned:

Seven Pillars Of Wisdom - T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
The Gulag Archipelago - Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
[Reply]
TheBeard 10:28 PM 06-30-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
The Alphabet of Man! this is by Maddox or some internet guy..its pretty hilarious
For shame, for shame. The book is "The Alphabet of Manliness." I think I'm going to have to revoke your Man Card for this error in passing along manliness to your fellow man.

[Reply]
adampc22 10:36 PM 06-30-2009
get eny book by hunter s thompson
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up