Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>Is the horror genre dying?
yellowgoat 09:06 PM 06-03-2009
Very good article on it that I really enjoyed.

Seven reasons why the horror genre is dying
[Reply]
BillyCigars 11:26 PM 06-03-2009
I agree with most of the article. Especially the part about the remakes. Guess what else they're "remaking"? Poltergeist... :-):-):-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:04 AM 06-04-2009
Isn't anyone creative anymore...everything is a remake!!
[Reply]
icantbejon 09:30 AM 06-04-2009
Isn't anyone creative anymore...everything is a remake!!!

*literary license taken by adding a third !. Who says creativity is dead!
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:49 AM 06-04-2009
How often can you do the "stalking mass murderer", "the gory alien mutant monster", vampires, werewolves and ghosts, etc, without running into a creativity block? For me they reached the limit a couple decades ago. Now they only refresh the special effects.
[Reply]
shilala 10:06 AM 06-04-2009
The whole movie industry has pretty much hit a creativity block.
I think they're afraid to throw money at anything that isn't tried and true.
[Reply]
Volt 10:17 AM 06-04-2009
Phantasm is the last "horror" movie I saw. I had dreams as a kid about that damn silver ball :-) Movies that depend on blood, guts, and gore are not IMO a horror movie. Horror is not easy to do, blood packs and chainsaws are. My :-) and maybe not worth that much.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 10:43 AM 06-04-2009
I know for me I have never been a horror film guy. I just dont get the extreme slasher type stuff. That said I thought some of the old black and white horror flicks like frankenstein and dracula were good.
I just dont dig the slasher type movies. Hell I dont even like the games like doom and fear though cause I hate getting scared. Funny cause at my work I am constantly walking around outside in the dark and it doesnt bother me at all.
[Reply]
Starscream 11:10 AM 06-04-2009
There are a few out there still that are good films. I liked The Skeptic that came out recently, but most of the horror films now are either remakes or are on part 12 and up. Saw 6 coming out late this year...:-)

I like the spooky, eerie movies such as The Others. A Haunting in Connecticut looks like it might be decent.
[Reply]
Jbailey 11:14 AM 06-04-2009
Originally Posted by BillyCigars:
Guess what else they're "remaking"? Poltergeist... :-):-):-)
NOOOOOO

Last good horror/suspense I saw was The Mist (07). Great ending!
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 12:09 PM 06-04-2009
I think Rob Zombie could save it if he goes back to his creativity in House of 1000 Corpses and stays away from Halloween remakes.

MCS
[Reply]
Starscream 12:28 PM 06-04-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I think Rob Zombie could save it if he goes back to his creativity in House of 1000 Corpses and stays away from Halloween remakes.

MCS
:-)
Most Definitely:-)
[Reply]
borndead1 12:47 AM 06-06-2009
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:

MCS
Meh...House of 1000 Corpses was pretty much a Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Hills Have Eyes ripoff until the end, with "Dr. Satan", which I thought ruined the whole movie. Just my opinion. :-)

The thing with horror movies is this: do they HAVE to make you "think"? Gimme some blood, guts, and boobs and the movie gets a :-) from me!
[Reply]
darkninja67 03:55 PM 06-06-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:

Gimme some blood, guts, and boobs and the movie gets a :-) from me!
and a zombie taking a bite out of a shark. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 10:03 PM 06-06-2009
I definitely think it's a dying genre. Unless it gets a much needed transfusion, it will go the way of the dodo. The Saw series was a good start, but it's going down the same path as others.
[Reply]
M1903A1 12:28 AM 06-07-2009
Originally Posted by BillyCigars:
I agree with most of the article. Especially the part about the remakes. Guess what else they're "remaking"? Poltergeist... :-):-):-)
Poltergeist's most famous line was forever ruined for me by an episode of "Night Court". :-)

(Perfect use of the line though!)
[Reply]
Up