Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Cigarcyclopedia.com website to shut down 31 Jan 2011
T.G 07:11 PM 01-25-2011
Following on to RichardW's thread a few weeks ago about the demise of Cigar Cyclopedia, it now looks like the servers will be going dark next Monday.

----BEGIN
Los Angeles, January 24, 2011 – As we come to the end of the month (and our server contracts), this site will close next Monday, January 31, 2011.

We are most grateful for the dozens of encouraging and complimentary comments, letters, messages, phone calls and suggestions concerning the closure of CigarCyclopedia.com. As to the future, we can report that while we have had discussions with a handful of companies which have interest in some aspects of our work, none have interest in continuing the site as currently formatted.

...continues...

----END

So, if you want any of the PDF guides on the site, download them now.
[Reply]
M1903A1 07:52 PM 01-25-2011
Let me ask (as one who's heard of the site but never looked at it)...is there anything there about CCs that I couldn't find in my copy of MRN?

Inquiring minds want to know...:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 08:17 PM 01-25-2011
Being nearly 8 years old, MRN is quite dated. Trevor's site, cubancigarwebsite.com and cigarcyclopedia both have more up to date information. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:43 PM 01-25-2011
I just finished archiving all of the pdf cyclopedias (domestic & Cuban), guides, reviews, magazines and comparison shoppers (domestic & international) that are currently available on the site.

In the event that someone needs a copy of them after the site goes dark, LMK via PM and I'll get you a copy via email only as to avoid any potential copyright redistribution issues for this site & the TOE.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:03 PM 01-25-2011
R these the people that put out the book/encyclopedia every year? Is that also history now?
[Reply]
T.G 09:18 PM 01-25-2011
Originally Posted by hotreds:
R these the people that put out the book/encyclopedia every year? Is that also history now?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Rich Perelman @ Cigarcyclopedia.com:
As of now, we have no plans to continue producing our Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars either, but this is an ongoing subject of discussion. If you want a 2011 edition, now is the time . . . you can purchase one (and back issues, if desired) from the Online Store (see the navigation buttons above).
Source

Link to online store at Cigarcyclopedia

BTW: I am not affiliated with cigar cyclopedia or Rich Perelman in any way, I am just reposting information and links from his site.
[Reply]
bigheadmark 10:58 AM 04-28-2011
this really sucks...I really liked their comparison shopper...
does anyone know of any other site that does price comparisons of cigars??
[Reply]
xlc12rf 11:04 AM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by bigheadmark:
I have been pondering the creation of a cigarwiki. Is there interest among community members to help with this endeavour?

PM me to discuss this further.
[Reply]
T.G 12:04 PM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by bigheadmark:
Not quite the same as the way he did it:

Cigar Stash
Cigar Searcher

Those are live comparisons and I'm not sure if they have all the same vendors as he did.

Also, I don't think they are only for NCs.

For rarer or more HTF stuff, there's ISOcigars where you put in what you are looking for and the subscribed shops will let you know what they have and how much they want for it.
[Reply]
Up