Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
General Discussion>Census 2010
T.G 10:51 AM 03-23-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kZE7MSlLw
[Reply]
JaKaacH 11:10 AM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by cricky101:
I filled mine out and mailed it yesterday, and lo and behold, the sun still rose this morning. :-)

And between tax returns, passport applications and driver's license info, they already know everything about me.
Another reason why the census is a big waste of money..With todays technology can't they figure out where everyones at without pissing away tax money every 10 years?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:30 AM 03-23-2010
Garbage in, garbage out.
I will give the minimum I think I can get away with. Let them try to come knock on my door.
[Reply]
Blueface 12:56 PM 03-23-2010
:-):-):-)

I just got my mail.
A reminder card that I should have gotten it already.

Too funny!!!
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 03:13 PM 03-23-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
What I meant is we use to have to walk around with documents and offer them up to the government at any request, at any time.
Hah, now that you point that out, that's the only way I can read it.
[Reply]
RBOrrell 10:52 AM 03-28-2010
Do they sell tin-foil hats for those that don't fill out cenus forms?
[Reply]
captain53 10:55 AM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Maybe it is me and what I do for a living that makes me uneasy when someone asks for my name and date of birth.
Why is the census asking for that?
Since when is this a process to attach a name to a statistic?
I can see asking my age.
I can see asking information about individuals in my household as they have a valid address to whom they mailed it to. However, it was mailed to "RESIDENT" and I feel it should stay that way.
They are not going to get that from me.

Here is the kicker, can we have your phone number in case we don't understand the answers. These freaking questions are as basic as 1+1.

Am I being too paranoid? I never participated in any prior census so wouldn't know what others have been like before. Curious to hear from those that have.
:-):-)
[Reply]
Blueface 11:37 AM 03-28-2010
:-)

I just learned they will follow up with you SIX TIMES!!!
They will hunt you down until they find you.

:-)

I filled it out and am sitting on it.
Since I will be traveling quite a bit in the near future, can't wait to see how, when and what city they will ultimately find me.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 12:14 PM 03-28-2010
All it is is a snapshot in time. It's great for people (like me) who are trying to trace their family back in time.
[Reply]
Neuromancer 04:38 PM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
All it is is a snapshot in time. It's great for people (like me) who are trying to trace their family back in time.
You're not going to be able to use this census for tracing anyone...they're only released to the public after 72 years...right now I've used the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census to look up grandparents and great-aunts and great-uncles...in 2012 the 1940 census will be relased to the public...and I'll have to wait until 2022 for the 1950 census in which I should first appear...
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 05:16 PM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by Neuromancer:
You're not going to be able to use this census for tracing anyone...
I know, but maybe someone down the road wants to know about me.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:09 PM 03-28-2010
I don't have a valid mailing address. This has caused me some minor problems in the past. I do have valid ways of receiving mail. So far, no census.
[Reply]
Razorhog 09:13 PM 03-28-2010
I still haven't received the form. If I do get it soon, should I count my two sons who will be born in the next few weeks?
[Reply]
T.G 09:44 PM 03-28-2010
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
I still haven't received the form. If I do get it soon, should I count my two sons who will be born in the next few weeks?
Count them as 95% each.
[Reply]
smokin5 09:51 AM 03-29-2010
Blueface (& others), you're either too paranoid or not paranoid enough.
Presuming you file income tax returns (you DO file them, don't you?), you've already given them a ton & 1/2 of your personal info & then some. Address? Check. Occupation? Check. Every bank account on which you earn interest? Check. Every investment on which you get dividends? Check. Where you work? With whom you have your mortgage? Check & Check. Your social security number, which can then be used to pull up every credit card, auto loan & other debt you've had, not to mention your birthday? Oh yeah, that too.
Shall I continue, or has my point been made?
The federal government already knows more about you than you might know about yourself. The census info requested is benign compared to all the other info you've already volunteered to the government. Get over it or move to a cave in the forest. :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:46 AM 03-29-2010
Originally Posted by smokin5:
Blueface (& others), you're either too paranoid or not paranoid enough.
Presuming you file income tax returns (you DO file them, don't you?), you've already given them a ton & 1/2 of your personal info & then some. Address? Check. Occupation? Check. Every bank account on which you earn interest? Check. Every investment on which you get dividends? Check. Where you work? With whom you have your mortgage? Check & Check. Your social security number, which can then be used to pull up every credit card, auto loan & other debt you've had, not to mention your birthday? Oh yeah, that too.
Shall I continue, or has my point been made?
The federal government already knows more about you than you might know about yourself. The census info requested is benign compared to all the other info you've already volunteered to the government. Get over it or move to a cave in the forest. :-)
They know what I let them know. I know what they know. There are ways of obfuscating the data. 'Nuff said.
[Reply]
BlackDog 12:58 PM 03-29-2010
I've been part of a longer-term census survey since the beginning of the year. They call me and ask the same questions each month (for 9 months) about the employment and/or schooling of each family member. Each call takes about a half hour, which I find to be a nuisance. Same script 5 times, once for each member of the family over the age of 15. How many days did you work in "X" month, how many days were you off on vacation/sickness, how many days off due to layoff/slack work, how much did you earn, does your employer provide health insurance, do you want another job, have you been looking for another job, etc., etc. It's certainly a lot more info than the Constitution stipulates.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up