Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Help ID my two vintage gold ST Dupont lighters
FDMetals 11:08 PM 11-07-2010
Hello,

I have come across two Dupont lighters, purported to have been newly purchased in the 1960s. The two lighter are in their original boxes. I have posted photos of them below.

Questions:
Looks like the small one is a Ligne 1. I have tested several spots on the case and it shows to be 14k gold. I thought most duponts were 18k, but this appears to be 14k. What is the value of this lighter as a collector piece vs. bullion spot price? I would certainly rather sell it to a collector than a scrap dealer where it could possibly be melted down.

The second one is very similar but taller. It does not pass the gold test and appears to be gold plated. Any ideas on the value?

How can I disassemble these lighters? they have not been used for decades and need a good cleaning. I can't figure out how to remove the lighter mechanism from the case.

I know there is always eBay, but is there a place where lighters like this might fetch a better value and reach more Dupont collectors?

Thanks for looking, any comments or answers are appreciated.

FD
Attached: IMG_1037.JPG (78.8 KB) 
[Reply]
FDMetals 11:12 PM 11-07-2010
Sorry, picture didn't post in the first email. here are the two lighters. Smaller one is an actual gold case.
Attached: IMG_1044.jpg (56.6 KB) 
[Reply]
icehog3 11:13 PM 11-07-2010
Welcome to the Asylum.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:22 PM 11-07-2010
Nice to meet you.
[Reply]
Bill86 11:27 PM 11-07-2010
Hello, welcome!
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:23 AM 11-08-2010
Beautiful lighters, hope you get them working.

Welcome to the Asylum, pull up a chair and have a cigar brother!
[Reply]
Up