Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Soto Pocket Torch Review
RRocket 04:22 AM 11-04-2010
I just wanted to do this little review of a great idea for a lighter. I thought I'd pass this along as I think it would be a handy travel lighter for those who can't bring butane onto a plane or those who may worry about finding butane for their lighters on a trip. And for about $20, I think this product is a winner.

I got to play around with one of these yesterday, and I must say I came away impressed. It's a small torch lighter that uses those cheap, square disposable lighters (easily found anywhere) as the fuel canister. You just drop the disposable lighter into the bottom, snap the top back on and you have an instant torch lighter. The only drawback, if it is one, is that it doesn't work with rounded Bic disposable lighters. Those disposable square lighters can be bought in singles or in packs of 8 for around $2 or so. So it's fairly economical to fuel.

Now this might not be your primary lighter (or maybe it would!), but for those traveling or to use in a pinch, I think it's great. I found out after the fact that this was winner of an Editor's Choice Award from an outdoor magazine. BTW, it's made in Japan for those that may be wondering.

I've included the link and some pictures.

http://www.sotooutdoors.com/pocket.html

[Reply]
longknocker 04:32 AM 11-04-2010
Cool Looking!:-) I Wonder How It Holds Up Over Time?
[Reply]
md4958 06:57 AM 11-04-2010
Wow, nice find Ron! Is it TSA approved?
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:59 AM 11-04-2010
Very cool...thanks Ron.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:15 AM 11-04-2010
looks cool.
Butane soft flame lighter = Cool with current TSA regs.....

Funny looking device that looks like an empty torch = Not gonna be cool with TSA, even if empty.
Especially if a TSA guy with 1/4 of a brain sees that all you have to do is put a (currently) kosher soft flame lighter in it.
I like the concept and idea though, for something to have at home! It will be interesting to see how the design holds up over many many refills and lighting cycles.
[Reply]
hscmit 07:32 AM 11-04-2010
very cool idea
[Reply]
issues 08:07 AM 11-04-2010
Nice!

If this thing is durable, I would probably pick one up.

For around $18 it looks like a good buy.
[Reply]
RRocket 03:15 PM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
Wow, nice find Ron! Is it TSA approved?
But even if it wasn't TSA approved, just toss it in your luggage with no cartridge, and pick up a lighter at your destination and you're good to go.
[Reply]
sobranie10 03:28 PM 11-04-2010
neat concept durability may be another thing
[Reply]
Up