Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Putting Ice packs in a coolidor to lower the temperature?
Bill86 03:36 PM 10-27-2010
It's hot in TN and my temperature is 72-75 in my humidors. I was thinking of just using a coolidor and an ice pack in it to drop the temperature is this a bad idea? Small ice pack in a large 120 quart cooler?
[Reply]
hotreds 03:40 PM 10-27-2010
Good idea. Just make sure the cigars don't get wet in any way from drips or condensation.
[Reply]
J0eybb 03:40 PM 10-27-2010
I tried it, once. Not a good idea. Moisture condenses on the ourside of the pack. It pulls the humidity to the bags... not a pretty sight.
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:41 PM 10-27-2010
You're safe below 80 degrees as a general rule. I can't see where it would hurt anything as long as you are careful with the humidity.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 04:15 PM 10-27-2010
Oh, go ahead. Turn the air back on. It'll only be for a couple of days. Front that just came thru is pulling cold air behind it. It will be back to fall weather by tomorrow! I turned my air back on 3 days ago. Hope to be able to shut it off tomorrow.
[Reply]
Bunker 04:16 PM 10-27-2010
Yeah, even we had to put the AC back on here.

Last week I used the fireplace every night.
[Reply]
Bill86 04:23 PM 10-27-2010
Oh I agree about the AC, it's just....I looked and apparently we gotta figure out why it just stopped working sometime while everyone was gone this afternoon O_O.

Safe under 80 degrees well that's good.

Looks like we have some yay and some nay. Basically I would put in on the bottom probably under a cedar tray or something. either way there would be no chance the bag would be NEAR ANY cigars. But If I am safe under 80 I won't bother.
[Reply]
DennisP 04:26 PM 10-27-2010
My humi is always in that range (or occasionally higher), no need to worry.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:30 PM 10-27-2010
Somebody turned the AC off already? It's not even January yet. :-)
[Reply]
TheDudeAbides 04:31 PM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by J0eybb:
I tried it, once. Not a good idea. Moisture condenses on the ourside of the pack. It pulls the humidity to the bags... not a pretty sight.
I'm with Joey on this one. Never tried it, my vino handles temp for me, but this seems like it would play hell with your RH%. And a wonky RH strikes me as being worse than high(ish) temp.
Besides..... winters coming, didn't you hear?
-Dude
[Reply]
bobarian 04:38 PM 10-27-2010
Beetles need sustained temps above 75 for at least a week to complete the life cycle. High temps above 80 are not a concern in most locations as the night temps usually dip below 70. If you are concerned it is easier to freeze for 3-5 days and kill the eggs or larvae. In addition many distributors now freeze at their warehouses as well. :-)
[Reply]
thebayratt 06:33 PM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by J0eybb:
I agree.

I did the same thing by putting a few ice cubes made from DW in a dish in a humidor to lower the temp. It lowered the temp and also the RH dropped too. I figured the melted ice (DW) would help keep the RH up, but it didn't.
If you do try the ice packs, deffinately make sure they are not in contact with your cigars. But I think the same thing will happen to you that did with me. Give it a shot on a day you are home, so you can watch your RH if you do decide to try it.

We had to turn our AC back on yesturday too. But a cool front should be on its way here in the next few days.
[Reply]
Parshooter 06:52 AM 10-28-2010
I used ice packs in my cabinet once. I put them in 2 zip lock bags to make sure there was no extra humidity released. It did drop the temp some, but to keep it lower for any length of time, you would need to rotate the packs daily because they don't stay froze too long, at least in a cabinet.
[Reply]
neoflex 07:03 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Somebody turned the AC off already? It's not even January yet. :-)
:-) Mine is still running. A week or two ago I had the heat on at night and the A/C on during the day for a couple days. I was just saying yesterday, "Where the hell is the cool Fall weather" as it was in the 80's and humid yesterday.
I would not sweat those temps. I am sure in a few days you will be back down so the range your in should be fine. If you really want to use ice packs I would maybe put them in a bag and wrapped in a dish towel and keep it on the lid outside of the humidor rather than inside.
[Reply]
boom 07:25 AM 10-28-2010
Its hot here in Fresno Ca during the summers.... Gets to be about 75 inside the hummis....I keep the humidity a little lower during the summer months to compensate this... never had an issue
[Reply]
Up