< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Moisture Sensor for Humidors
timberham 04:06 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by Nefari0us:
Input sent as well!
Thanks!
timberham 04:08 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Hydrometer (with a "d") tests the specific gravity of a fluid - for example, the bulb tester with the floating balls to check your automotive coolant mixture or one for testing. Sometimes they show lab grade versions of them in a quick flash as part of a wine or beer company commercial (I think I've seen them used in some Sam Adams and EJ Gallo commercials). It really wouldn't be much use to a cigar humidor unless it was filled with water.

A hygrometer (with a "g") measures the relative humidity.

I already have one of those. It's called an active humidifier. Some of the companies that already manufacture them: Cigar Oasis, Hydra, Humi-Care, Habitat Monitor, Bob Stabell's Set-n-Forget, etc.

They can be had for about $60 and up depending on the manufacturer IIRC.

It's working now, your original post had a truncated link. Thanks.
Thanks!

Also, I have done a little research into a few of those manufacturers. Mine is a little different then those are, and would also be cheaper and I believe a little more accurate and without a doubt more reliable.

And sorry, I guess I also just skipped over the "g" when google'ing haha. Thanks for correcting me though!
T.G 04:32 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by timberham:
Thanks!

Also, I have done a little research into a few of those manufacturers. Mine is a little different then those are, and would also be cheaper and I believe a little more accurate and without a doubt more reliable.

And sorry, I guess I also just skipped over the "g" when google'ing haha. Thanks for correcting me though!
Some of those units are pretty accurate, others, eh, notsomuch.

One thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturing costs of the other units is not necessarily the driving force behind their price tags, in most cases, it's really only a (small) part of it. A lower manufacturing cost for your product might or might not yield a significantly lower price point when selling, also, how low do you want your profit margins to be.

I'd definitely be interested to see if/when it comes to fruition as a product in the marketspace.

Regardless, best of luck with your endeavor.
Wharf Rat 04:58 PM 10-28-2010
Thanks!

BTW, if you are thinking of making your hygrometer out of horse hair, its already been done.

I'm an engineer with patents and the like. PM me and I'll try to help out

Bob
markem 05:00 PM 10-28-2010
Cheaper and more reliable with better accuracy would be a big win, I think. Particularly if you are able to reasonably incorporate an alarm functionality for RH out of spec and/or low reservoir if an active system.

Lots of places need this type of system, not just cigar users, so I hope that you are thinking much broader. Also, didn't you put out a survey regarding boats as well?
timberham 06:46 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Some of those units are pretty accurate, others, eh, notsomuch.

One thing to keep in mind is that the manufacturing costs of the other units is not necessarily the driving force behind their price tags, in most cases, it's really only a (small) part of it. A lower manufacturing cost for your product might or might not yield a significantly lower price point when selling, also, how low do you want your profit margins to be.

I'd definitely be interested to see if/when it comes to fruition as a product in the marketspace.

Regardless, best of luck with your endeavor.

Margins aren't really important to me, I'm more interested in getting it out there. The next step will be to implement this into other places, houses and boats are on that list. I was also thinking of trying to market this for wine coolers/fridges because it won't fault with condensation. And I'm in the process of prototyping it now. Hoping to have a working prototype bye by the end of the semester.
timberham 06:47 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
Cheaper and more reliable with better accuracy would be a big win, I think. Particularly if you are able to reasonably incorporate an alarm functionality for RH out of spec and/or low reservoir if an active system.

Lots of places need this type of system, not just cigar users, so I hope that you are thinking much broader. Also, didn't you put out a survey regarding boats as well?
Haha, yes actually, I am currently looking at boats as well, and houses and thinking about wine coolers too. A boat survey is currently out right now so I'm looking at multiple markets right now.
timberham 06:49 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
BTW, if you are thinking of making your hygrometer out of horse hair, its already been done.

I'm an engineer with patents and the like. PM me and I'll try to help out

Bob
Hey thanks. The actual moisture "stuff" is already patented, the sensor itself may or may not be patentable yet. Regardless I'm trying to get some grant money from the gov. But thanks for the help and I still may contact you with some further questions!
timberham 04:00 PM 11-01-2010
Keep the feedback coming!
Barcode 06:49 PM 11-01-2010
Wireless would be nice between the sensor and the main unit if you are going digital. That way we could have the sensor in the cooler and not have to open the lid to see the reading.
timberham 10:34 AM 11-06-2010
Originally Posted by Barcode:
Wireless would be nice between the sensor and the main unit if you are going digital. That way we could have the sensor in the cooler and not have to open the lid to see the reading.
I'm thinking I would use RFID so that it has more specific ties to a device. But yes, the device would have some sort of monitoring system.
icehog3 02:31 PM 11-06-2010
Closed as there is a new thread started by the OP.
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up