Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Fridge-adors / Coolidors
WaxingMoon 08:57 AM 10-18-2010
I am thinking about just picking one or two of these wine coolers up and then tricking 'em out....

It would be easier to build them out with the unit in the shop....than it is to work through measurements given over the phone....

Make it a "one stop shop" sort of thing.....

So....asking for some assistance here.... What would you guys like to see, make and model wise, available?

Or, for those of you thinking about purchasing from an online source or elsewhere.... maybe you can have it shipped to me, then when finished, sent on to you - the way you want it. Or, perhaps I could find one locally and do it up....

Just kicking around some ideas....

I was thinking about doing a prototype with a New Air 280 - purchase it, build it out.... and then put it back in the box and re-sell it....

What's good out there and where's a good place to buy them?
[Reply]
md4958 08:59 AM 10-18-2010
Most guys I know have 28 bottle vino-temps. But when you say coolidor, I think of this: Image
[Reply]
shilala 10:03 AM 10-18-2010
I've done a bunch of different winadors. Thermoelectric and compressor driven both.
The last one I did was a gift for sofaman. I think he posted pics in the bomb section.
I've done a couple for me, too. I'm pretty sure I posted pics. You'd need to search "Project of the day".
Guys generally want drawers and fans worked in, so there's no messing around. Plug and go. Chasden makes awesome slide-in drawers.
To me, tricking out stuff like the cheap thermoelectrics is senseless if the stuff is nailed down. They have a real short lifespan.
If you can do a more reliable model that's likely to last years and be fixable, it makes sense.
With the cheap thermoelectrics, a guy can take his drawers and shelves out and just buy another fridge if it dies on them. That seems to make lots of sense, and it's the way most guys go.
[Reply]
Bill86 02:04 PM 10-18-2010
I have contemplated purchasing wood for my Coleman 120 quart. If you happen to do that I'd love to see it. Maybe some singles contraption and something for boxes. I don't want to stand it up....but maybe just help the humidity come back quicker. It's rock solid 63-64 but once I open it, even if I immediately shut it, it drops to 56-58.

The most popular models are the Coleman 120 and 150 quarts.
[Reply]
Brutus2600 03:06 PM 10-18-2010
At the very least I'd buy a 28 bottle Vinotemp and EdgeStar. These are the most popular models. I have an Avanti 28 bottle, but I hear even the different 28 bottle Avanti models (there are a few) have different dimensions.
[Reply]
68TriShield 03:14 PM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by Bill86:
but maybe just help the humidity come back quicker. It's rock solid 63-64 but once I open it, even if I immediately shut it, it drops to 56-58.
This is normal and nothing to fret over Bill :-)

Scott makes a excellent point Ed. I think cedar inserts for a cooler would be sweet except that lots of folks just use empty boxes.
[Reply]
Bill86 03:20 PM 10-18-2010
Oh I wasn't, just wanted an excuse to make my cooler look a little better. It's too plain and boring now. That and take up a bit of space with Spanish cedar to help the humidity out, make my 65% beads hold 65% instead of 63-64. Not that it bothers me but again.....just an excuse to jazz up the coolidor.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:43 PM 10-18-2010
Love to see Eds work with a cooler. :-)
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 05:13 PM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
Scott makes a excellent point Ed. I think cedar inserts for a cooler would be sweet except that lots of folks just use empty boxes.
I have made some of my "crumb catchers" for coolers... the BOTL that ordered 'em wanted to put the humidification devices under the crumb catchers....

EH loved 'em.... and they worked great!

[Reply]
sofaman 06:16 PM 10-18-2010
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21322

Here is the one shilala built for me
[Reply]
Up