Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>New Stanwell with loose stem....
boom 02:15 PM 12-25-2009
Got a New Stan and the stem was tight when I bought it. After a month in the drawer I pulled it out today for a breaking bowl, the stem is loose. ????? What will change the fit? After a month in the house, now granted it is cold now then when I bought it.

What should I do? any fix I can do? Bought it online from a reputable seller. I don't want to return it the grain is too beautiful.....:-)

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
colimo 03:20 PM 12-25-2009
take your torch lighter and hold it about 2 inches below the stem where it fits into the bowl and rotate the stem around to heat it up....then press it down on a hard surface and hold it for a minute or two...let it cool off then put it in the pipe....easy does it...not too much at a time or it will get too tight
[Reply]
loki 03:37 PM 12-25-2009
Originally Posted by colimo:
take your torch lighter and hold it about 2 inches below the stem where it fits into the bowl and rotate the stem around to heat it up....then press it down on a hard surface and hold it for a minute or two...let it cool off then put it in the pipe....easy does it...not too much at a time or it will get too tight
I'd hold off on doing that till a last resort, and if I did I'd use a soft flame.

there are a number of reasons that it maybe not fitting as tight as it was. temperature, humidity change, lack of smoking, ect. I had one that was quite not tight fitting until I put fire into the bowl and then it was fine. Finally I had the pipe guy fix it at the local shop cause we were both bored one day
[Reply]
colimo 03:42 PM 12-25-2009
Originally Posted by loki:
I'd hold off on doing that till a last resort, and if I did I'd use a soft flame.

there are a number of reasons that it maybe not fitting as tight as it was. temperature, humidity change, lack of smoking, ect. I had one that was quite not tight fitting until I put fire into the bowl and then it was fine. Finally I had the pipe guy fix it at the local shop cause we were both bored one day
he is right...soft flame...i stand corrected
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:17 PM 12-25-2009
1) How loose is it? If it isn't "falling off" loose, simply smoking a bowl in it will correct the issue as the pipe heats up and moisture gets into the stem.

2) If that doesn't work, take a simple candle and rub it up and down the outside of the tenon. This should tighten it up so that it is no longer loose.

Never, I repeat, never, use the technique which will cause you to change the shape of your tenon. Why? It fit when you bought it, it will fit when the temperature and humidity rises. If you change the shape of the tenon, you will have issues later.
[Reply]
boom 06:21 PM 12-25-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
1) How loose is it? If it isn't "falling off" loose, simply smoking a bowl in it will correct the issue as the pipe heats up and moisture gets into the stem.

2) If that doesn't work, take a simple candle and rub it up and down the outside of the tenon. This should tighten it up so that it is no longer loose.

Never, I repeat, never, use the technique which will cause you to change the shape of your tenon. Why? It fit when you bought it, it will fit when the temperature and humidity rises. If you change the shape of the tenon, you will have issues later.
This is what I have thought..... Will try beeswax or a candle later.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:16 PM 12-25-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
1) ... smoking a bowl in it will correct the issue...
This method only works about 97% of the time. :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:23 PM 12-25-2009
Originally Posted by boom:
This is what I have thought..... Will try beeswax or a candle later.
I didn't suggest beeswax because not too many people have that available.
[Reply]
boom 09:47 PM 01-03-2010
Broke The Stan in with a bowl of Peterson Uni Flake and the stem tightened up. Seems my worries went a way. This smoked like a dream..... My Stanwell Legend 64..... Nice straight grain all around with birds eye on the bottom on the bowl... I think I will have a new love for this pipe after today...
[Reply]
Mister Moo 05:11 AM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by boom:
Broke The Stan in with a bowl of Peterson Uni Flake and the stem tightened up.
Another holiday miracle. :-) Cool pipe; love the Stanwells.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:21 AM 01-04-2010
Figured it would tighten up on its own. Remember though, as it cools and the humidity is sapped from the mortise, it may loosen again.

The cure? Smoke it every 4 days.
[Reply]
Up