Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>A thought
Mr.Erskine 01:32 PM 01-19-2012
This will probably show my naivety, but I had a thought, a question, actually, after reading a post that someone made about a cigar tasting "not as good" as it did years ago. In other words, if one smoked an Oliva V torpedo in 2006, and the 2011 issue was not as good.

Like wine, couldn't that be the case based on the tobacco crop of a particular year. Even though it's the same leaf from the same part of the plant, processed and rolled the same, and branded and banded the same, isn't it possible that there are variations in the outcome of the given cigars because of the weather, crop, or other variables? Or is the cigar industry a completely controlled system?

I'm not trying to be funny or stupid, even if the answer does seem obvious.
[Reply]
Apoco 02:51 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine:
This will probably show my naivety, but I had a thought, a question, actually, after reading a post that someone made about a cigar tasting "not as good" as it did years ago. In other words, if one smoked an Oliva V torpedo in 2006, and the 2011 issue was not as good.

Like wine, couldn't that be the case based on the tobacco crop of a particular year. Even though it's the same leaf from the same part of the plant, processed and rolled the same, and branded and banded the same, isn't it possible that there are variations in the outcome of the given cigars because of the weather, crop, or other variables? Or is the cigar industry a completely controlled system?

I'm not trying to be funny or stupid, even if the answer does seem obvious.
You hit the nail on the head.

There are PLENTY of variables. Weather, soil, sunlight, blending (actually creating the cigar), type of tobacco seed used, etc. can all change the flavor of the cigar. It is nearly impossible to get a 100% match from one crop to the next...but usually they can get very close.

However - there are cases of having the same band with a change to the mix in a big way. This especially occurs with one cigar company acquiring another and then tweaking the cigars...ex. General Cigars buying CAO. I can tell a HUGE difference in the La Traviata before vs. after the acquisition. The band, branding, advertising, etc. is entirely the same but with a very different blend.

Mind you - stuff isn't reblended ONLY when one company acquires another...but that is the most common I think.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DaBear 02:54 PM 01-19-2012
Yes, there will be some difference as its not the exact same tobacco. Another part of it is your pallet evolves over time, so something that tasted good years ago may suck today for you.

An example of the former being the winter 2010/11 release Anejos were good fresh, but were definitely green and needed rest. This winter's Anejos(2011/2012) were great right off the bat but as with all Anejos, will get better with a year on em.
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 03:02 PM 01-19-2012
Thanks for the answers. I'm getting some good information. The behind the scenes stuff of most things intrigues me, most of the time.
[Reply]
Sam Leccia 03:29 PM 01-19-2012
I agree with most of whats been said. it is no easy task with making anything product perfectly consistent.

One thing to also consider is that individual tastes can change. Pallets can change.

It's common to not like something you once enjoyed.
[Reply]
crazyirishman 04:56 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia:
It's common to not like something you once enjoyed.
Exactly. I used to be able to smoke crappy cigars from the cabinet humidor in the convenience store sown from my house. Now even just the olfactory notes are offending to the senses.
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:18 PM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia:
it is no easy task with making any product perfectly consistent.

Sancho Panza Natural
Fuente 858 Natural
The Padron 1000's
These 3 are the cigars that stand out to me as having the same aroma and taste through the years.
It amazes me to this day.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 05:57 PM 01-19-2012
It doesn't have to only be the weather that affects the taste. But if they have new inexperienced pickers, they might have picked the leaf too early so all the minerals were not ready. Or maybe there was a big problem with bugs that year so a larger amount of bug spray was used. A lot of things can change taste.. even a new roller could do it. My suggestion is for you to read a book like cigars for dummies.. it help me out a lot.
[Reply]
Mr.Erskine 09:22 PM 01-19-2012
I thought of my original post after talking with a wine maker in Pennsylvania. They were talking to me about the variables that go into their blends, even with the same label.
[Reply]
Up