Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Vixcaya VXOP Cask No. 21 Rum - A Must Have!
RGD. 09:46 PM 10-04-2009
A few months ago I was in a store over in Maryland surveying the Rum selections when I spied a bottle of this Vizcaya. The bottle itself is very impressive which is what caught my eye first. Had not heard of the brand before - but decided to add it to my collection anyway.

Last month my friend Bob was over to celebrate his 75th birthday so I decided we would give it go. Let me tell you that we thoroughly enjoyed this offering. The coloring is a beautiful golden amber. Aroma excellent with maple, vanilla, brown sugar notes and something else - kinda fruity, but not.

The taste was clean, slightly sweet maple, some raisin maybe, subtle vanilla and fruits, clear finish with a zero bite. I poured two fingers, let it sit for about ten minutes and added two small ice cubes (about one normal size cube)

We finished off over half the bottle. Was at the same store Friday so picked up another bottle as this is a must have for any rum collection. Price point was $44.

Do yourself a favor and give this a go. And if'n you don't like it - send it my way :-)

Ron

[Reply]
Old Sailor 09:50 PM 10-04-2009
:-) sounds interesting!
[Reply]
md4958 10:18 PM 10-04-2009
comprable to Zaya?
[Reply]
itsme_timd 11:27 PM 10-04-2009
Wow, your description of the flavors in that one has my mouth watering. Not a bad price point on that one either - thanks for the info.
[Reply]
RGD. 08:45 AM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
comprable to Zaya?
No. Different animal in my opiinion. I would reach for this before the Zaya Trinidad version though.

Ron
[Reply]
Mark C 06:47 PM 10-05-2009
What store? I saw that in Florida a few weekends ago, never seen it in MD. Almost bought it, but wasn't sure I could get a 4th bottle in my suitcase :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 07:12 PM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
What store? I saw that in Florida a few weekends ago, never seen it in MD. Almost bought it, but wasn't sure I could get a 4th bottle in my suitcase :-)
Lady's Liquors over on 301 in La Plata. 6470 Crain Hwy. 301-392-0090.

I come up 301 from work in King George sometimes. They are suppose to have a case of Cruzan Cream Rum that I ordered in on Wednesday/Thursday so I could check and see if they have it Friday if you want me to.

Ron
[Reply]
BengalMan 07:31 PM 10-05-2009
price point?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:57 PM 10-05-2009
Thanks for being the Guinea Pig Ron..... I'll put it on my list.
Especially @ a $44 price point!
[Reply]
althekillr 09:02 PM 10-05-2009
this stuff is fantastic!
[Reply]
physiognomy 09:51 PM 10-05-2009
Thanks for the tip Ron! Not sure I've seen this one in my travels yet, but it is definitely on my buy list now...
[Reply]
McSmokey 09:58 PM 10-05-2009
Don't believe they have this at the local B&M may have to find it online great review definitely got me interested
[Reply]
rizzle 08:27 AM 10-06-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
You should have picked it up bro. I've got a bottle of it in my rotation and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Your price at Total Wine would have been better than $44 too, I think I got it for $37-39 if I'm not mistaken.
:-)
[Reply]
Mark C 03:59 PM 10-06-2009
Originally Posted by RGD.:
I could check and see if they have it Friday if you want me to.
Thanks, but I'm not close enough to drop in just for a bottle of rum. I do drive through there once in awhile for work, next time I'll drop in and see what they've got on the shelf.

Originally Posted by rizzle:
You should have picked it up bro. I've got a bottle of it in my rotation and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Your price at Total Wine would have been better than $44 too, I think I got it for $37-39 if I'm not mistaken.
:-)
That sounds about right. I was looking at I think 5 different bottles that were all around $33-$38. The 3 that came home with me were Centenario, Prichard's, and Barbancourt Grand Reserve. Depaz Blue Cane was the other that didn't make the cut. I was hoping to find Ron del Barillito but didn't see it there. I'll be in Orlando in May so I'll get 'em then, if not sooner.
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:04 AM 11-08-2010
I thought I'd pass along a deal SV has on this right now. Under $30 shipped if you buy 2. I'm considering it, but can't see buying 2, and I'd have to pay NJ tax on top. Thought someone may be interested...

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/stor...1-Rum-c676.htm

Maybe I can find someone local to split it...decisions, decisions.
[Reply]
Up