Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Miami Heat executives taking pay cuts..
GreekGodX 02:50 PM 09-15-2009
Heat paycuts

Is it just me or is this just not enough?? When you have players making millions of dollars and they aren't taking any cut, how is this good business? I'm happy that the executives are taking a cut but the players are the ones that really need to. Consider that the Heat are 12 million over the salary cap, and the team is bringing in less revenue. Something is clearly not right. You have people that would love to have just $1million losing their hourly job, but lets protect the rich players that most of them end up bankrupt after they are done playing. End rant.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:56 PM 09-15-2009
You have a point. All I'll ask is this : When's the last time an assistant GM hit a jumper or grabbed a rebound? May sound stupid, but there it is.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:07 PM 09-15-2009
Great point. The athletes have the talent and bring in revenue. When they aren't playing well enough to attract fans they should also take a pay cut.

Without the GM's and scouts there would be no one paying them.
[Reply]
ade06 03:08 PM 09-15-2009
I can't say that I soley blame players for demanding to be paid market rates. Isn't that what most young employees do when accepting a new job (take the highest paying job offer). It's boils down to supply and demand. If the fans don't put up with the high ticket prices, then the owners don't make as much money, then the owners can't pay the players the crazy high pay. The problem is that the owners will just pick up the team and move to another city where they think the fans will pay the high tickets. Isn't capitalism great! I offer no solutions, just a different point of view. :-)
[Reply]
ade06 03:10 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
You have a point. All I'll ask is this : When's the last time an assistant GM hit a jumper or grabbed a rebound? May sound stupid, but there it is.
Lol... good point M.J. :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 03:11 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Is it just me or is this just not enough?? When you have players making millions of dollars and they aren't taking any cut, how is this good business? I'm happy that the executives are taking a cut but the players are the ones that really need to.
It's pretty straightforward. The players are members of a union, which would only agree to such terms in the most dire of situations. The management is not a member of any union, but are employed "at will" by the team owners, and can either accept the pay cut or leave their job.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:15 PM 09-15-2009
Compare this to a plastic surgeon. Someone who has a special talent that is in a high demand. Once they start getting less patients they are going to lower their prices to attract people back. Why should an athlete not be treated the same way? Especially since a Doctor is someone that changes lives physically and emotionally. Most athletes aren't even educated. They may affect some lives whether it be through a loyal fan, gambling or charity do they really do enough to deserve to be protected the way they are?
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:21 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
It's pretty straightforward. The players are members of a union, which would only agree to such terms in the most dire of situations. The management is not a member of any union, but are employed "at will" by the team owners, and can either accept the pay cut or leave their job.
I love sports. I had a chance to play college sports but turned it down to concentrate on school work. It is the way we put the athletes on a pedestal that really is disgusting. Union or no union I don't know that they realize how many lives can be changed by them giving up some of that money.
[Reply]
ade06 03:55 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Most athletes aren't even educated. They may affect some lives whether it be through a loyal fan, gambling or charity do they really do enough to deserve to be protected the way they are?
One doesn't need an education to make a lot of money. Some of the richest folks in the Country didn't graduate from college (e.g. Bill Gates). Regarding athletes not affecting peoples' lives, you should have been in Philadelphia after the Phillies won the World Series last year. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 04:09 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by ade06:
One doesn't need an education to make a lot of money.:-)
Too true, but an education may make one a better person, and better able to handle wealth with fewer problems. It reminds me of my college days at Carolina, when Dean Smith accepted his very first junior transfer, Bob McAdoo. Then McAdoo jumped hardship to the NBA after one year in Chapel Hill. Coach Smith made the GM of the Buffalo Braves add a clause to the contract where McAdoo would receive a cash bonus if he returned to school for a degree.

Did it succeed? No, but at least Coach tried. Maybe if others tried also, all sports would be more rewarding on levels other than mere fandom.
[Reply]
Up