Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 206 of 206
« First < 106156196204205206
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
Porch Dweller 08:32 AM 07-24-2024
I had some JD SB Barrel Proof last night. I don't know if there's currently another whiskey out there that I enjoy the aroma of more than it.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:41 AM 07-24-2024
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
I had some JD SB Barrel Proof last night. I don't know if there's currently another whiskey out there that I enjoy the aroma of more than it.
So solid in every way, James...I had a pour last night of a store pick.

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:39 AM 07-25-2024
Stopped by my local store to see if they had anything new. The Four Roses store pick is in, the owner is still figuring out when he’s going to release it. Snagged one of their Woodenville Rye picks. Marked down from $80 to $50. Got to talking with the owner about the Woodenville Moscatel finished. He hadn’t tried it yet, so told him I’d bring him a sample. In exchange he gives me a sample of OF 13 year brown label. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 12:21 PM 07-25-2024
Stopped in to one of my less-frequented B&Ms. They didn't have anything great, but I grabbed a Buffalo Trace and a Dickel BIB.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:29 PM 07-25-2024
Win for you, Bob! :-) Did he tell you which recipe and tier the FR was?

James, always good to have those on hand. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:58 AM 07-26-2024
The past couple years I've been seeing a lot of single barrel picks locally from a Wisconsin distillery, Dancing Goat. When I saw a West coast guy whose picks I've enjoyed had picked an 8 year MGP barrel, I ordered one up. It arrived today, I'll probably open it this weekend.

[Reply]
stearns 09:02 AM 07-26-2024
Nice pickup! Jay doesn't pick bad barrels, and he sure has a lot of them set aside at Dancing Goat. The releases are just gonna get better and better
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:18 AM 07-26-2024
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Win for you, Bob! :-) Did he tell you which recipe and tier the FR was?
No, unfortunately. I believe I’m getting the sample second hand. He just told me it spent 13 years in the barrel, then another 12 in a stainless cask before bottling.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:17 PM 07-26-2024
Originally Posted by stearns:
Nice pickup! Jay doesn't pick bad barrels, and he sure has a lot of them set aside at Dancing Goat. The releases are just gonna get better and better
I've had good luck with several of jay's picks too, Ben. Good to hear his standing with DG. :-)

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
No, unfortunately. I believe I’m getting the sample second hand. He just told me it spent 13 years in the barrel, then another 12 in a stainless cask before bottling.
The 13 year age itself is crazy, but I don't understand Bob....12 more years in a stainless cask? Never heard of that. :-)

I went to Binny's to pick up something for QT. New Maker's Mark picks were $15 off. At under $50, it was a no-brainer.

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:38 PM 07-26-2024
The 13 year age itself is crazy, but I don't understand Bob....12 more years in a stainless cask? Never heard of that. :-)
Makers did something similar with their Cellar Aged. I’ve been searching the web for any info if what I was told was true, but haven’t found anything. Maybe Ben knows?

Either way, it was fantastic. Drank it this afternoon. So smooth. Wish I had more.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:51 PM 07-26-2024
Makers did something similar with their Cellar Aged. I’ve been searching the web for any info if what I was told was true, but haven’t found anything. Maybe Ben knows?

Either way, it was fantastic. Drank it this afternoon. So smooth. Wish I had more.
Sounds delicious, Bob, nice. :-)

MM cellared 12 year bourbon for their Cellar Aged, but I believe it was still oak barrels and not anything metallic?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:53 PM 07-26-2024
Sounds delicious, Bob, nice. :-)

MM cellared 12 year bourbon for their Cellar Aged, but I believe it was still oak barrels and not anything metallic?
That’s right about the Cellar Aged. My bad.
[Reply]
stearns 05:01 PM 07-26-2024
Allow me to translate!

Bob was talking about the Old Fitz, not the Four Roses. The Old Fitz was the 25yr anni bottle, distilled right after HH took over Bernheim? Fact check me. After 13 years they put it in a tank then bottled for this anniversary thing. I'd kill to try it, but not willing to pay the ~$900 they're going for on secondary. Glad you got a chance!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:34 AM 07-27-2024
Originally Posted by stearns:
Allow me to translate!

Bob was talking about the Old Fitz, not the Four Roses. The Old Fitz was the 25yr anni bottle, distilled right after HH took over Bernheim? Fact check me. After 13 years they put it in a tank then bottled for this anniversary thing. I'd kill to try it, but not willing to pay the ~$900 they're going for on secondary. Glad you got a chance!
Thank you Ben, that makes more sense. Whoever gave the sample to the owner, wrote on the bottle with marker that has partially worn off. Thus why it’s easy to confuse Old Forester for Old Fitz.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:09 PM Yesterday
Stopped by my local store. JDSBBP Rye store pick. Ahh…yup! Drinking my third ~1oz pour. Delicious. How JD makes these drink so easy for such a high proof (131.6 in this case) is amazing.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:34 AM Today
Stopped by my local store. JDSBBP Rye store pick. Ahh…yup! Drinking my third ~1oz pour. Delicious. How JD makes these drink so easy for such a high proof (131.6 in this case) is amazing.
I think most of them drink smoother than their much lower proof JD counterparts, Bob, and with much more depth of flavor. I pick them up whenever I see a store pick, have grabbed a few off RB as well.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:35 AM Today
Little Kentucky Owl batch 12 last night watching TUF.

[Reply]
Page 206 of 206
« First < 106156196204205206
Up