Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gurkha regent torpedo
Don Fernando 01:50 AM 06-24-2011
A friend gave me this cellophane wrapped Gurkha regent torpedo and even though my not so positive experiences with Gurkha in the past, except for the Master Select that I liked, I thought "well, this might be the one that changes my mind about the brand". The cigar is a collaboration between K. Hansotia and the Torano family and is made from Honduran tobacco. The cigar recieved high ratings in the past, Cigar Aficionado rated it '90'.

This 6½x52 torpedo is square, like it has been factory pressed. The wrapper is dark and oily without any veins. The band is like any Gurkha band, huge and flashy. The construction feels fine and the predraw, which leaves a raisin flavor in my mouth, confirms the good construction.

I taste a musty and smooth coffee with some wood and a weird chocolate like flavor. After half an inch the coffee is gone and even the wood tastes a bit weird. There is hardly any flavor development. I taste that weird wood with a hint of chocolate like sweetness and bitterness.

Halfway the wood gets a bit stronger and after two thirds I taste wood with a now normal chocolate flavor. The flavors aren't great, but much better than before. I even taste some nuts, herbs and a bit of pepper.

This cigar lasted me an hour and fifteen minutes. The draw was great and I got a decent smoke, although it was quite thin and gray in the beginning, but it got better along the way. The light gray ash is firm. This cigar is medium to full flavored and medium bodied. The burn is good.

Would I buy this cigar again? Nah, I gave up on Gurkha after this one

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 6 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
Up