Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva Masterblend 1 torpedo
Don Fernando 01:45 AM 06-24-2011
About 5 years ago, when I was still a noob, I started smoking cigars just a few months before, I went to a cigar shop and got me some singles including a few cigars I bought just for the look as it had a lasered tattoo which made the cigar stand out from the others. I learned that it was de Oliva Masterblend 1 torpedo. In may of 2007, about two years after I bought it, I smoked my last one and reviewed it. Ever since I regretted not taking pictures and I was never able to get myself another Masterblend 1 cigar as they are impossible to get until last december when a cigar shop owner told me he bought half a box from a client and had a few left. I wanted to buy them all, but my friends who were with me wanted some too, so generous as I am, I only bought one and let my friends buy the others. I just wanted one so I could take pictures for my old review. Well, if I'm taking pictures, I can take notes too right? A lot has happened since may 2007, it's been four years, I am an experienced smoker now and the cigars have more age on them, so why not write a new review?

This cigar is 6 inch long with a 52 ring. The chocolate brown and leathery looking wrapper has a tattooed logo, which disappeared after the masterblend 2 series, because tattooing caused 15% of the quality wise great cigars got destroyed by the tattoo machine. The construction feels a bit hard and I smell wood and straw. The predraw is fine, I taste raising with a little pepper on the background.

I taste dry hay with some chocolate and the unique Oliva sweetness. The flavors change to wood and chocolate after half an inch. After an inch I taste dry hay again with some wood. Both the sweetness and the chocolate have disappeared.

After a third the chocolate returns and gets stronger with some pepper and herbs on the background. Halfway I taste wood with herbs and some chocolate in the aftertaste. Later on the wood disappears and I taste herbs, chocolate and hazelnuts. After two thirds I taste wood with herbs.

This cigar lasted me for an hour and forty five minutes. I got a great draw and a decent amount of smoke. The light colored ash is not firm at all. This cigar is full flavored and medium bodied. It has a great burn and I got a huge flame when I purged it.

Would I buy this cigar again? That would be close to impossible, I got this one with a lot of luck.

Appearance: 9 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
jesseboston81 02:01 AM 06-24-2011
Thanks for this review. I always thought that tattoo was really cool, and I wish they would have been able to continue doing it!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:36 AM 06-24-2011
the tattoo caused a 15% extra fall out of perfectly good cigars, so it was too costly to continue tattooing the cigars.
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 10:49 AM 06-24-2011
Thanks for the review... :-)

I still have four MB's #1 left & I think IMO they are & were the best. The 2's & 3's lack a little something when compaired to the #1. :-)

Thats just me... :-)
[Reply]
357 11:05 AM 06-24-2011
Good review Ferdie. I've only had two MB1 churchills. I smoked one and gave the other away. Very unique, and I am a big fan of the MB3 torpedo. Never tried a MB2 though.
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:49 PM 06-24-2011
Damn fine review Ferdie. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Up