Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Popular cigars through the years.
N2 GOLD 12:37 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I can speak some about the 90's. The early-mid 90's were crazy. The boom was big and brands came out of on a dialy basis to cash in on the cigar craze. I sometimes wonder how many people stuck around when the boom went away. I feel many folks were just being trendy. A few brands that were popular and some oddities I can remember are listed below:

Arturo Fuente: This was as always, a staple for the cigar boomers. The regular line like the 8-5-8's would sell out at my local Tinder Box the same day. They were charging $8-$9 a cigar in those days.

Punch/Hoyo De Montery/El Rey Del Mundo: These were quite popular with all the boomers. Scoring a 50-cab of Punch Rothschilds was a big deal.

La Gloria Cubana/El Credito/El Rico Habano: These made a huge splash in 93-97. Everybody loved Ernie Carillo and his store in Miami was a big hit. They made a version of the cigars in the DR and at the Miami store. Scoring the stuff from the Miami store was always considered best because they were supposed to have a better flavor profile. The original release El Rico Habano was a powerhouse cigar that I've never seen matched. That cigar would make my lips numb from the nicotine every time.

Puros Indios: Believe it or not, these were all the rage for awhile. They fetched $12-$16 a stick for a couple years. I think they tasted better back then but still not one of my favorites.

Chessman Royal Reserve: This cigar was made exclusively for Cigar Express and were popular among the alt.smokers.cigars gang in the mid-90's. I was in love with the Rosado wrapped churchills.

V-Cigar: An oddity for sure. This was the first cigar that could only be purchased on the internet. They only sold them from the V-cigar site. They sucked real bad.

Garmeister Cigars: A very unusual and expensive cigar rolled by a husband and wife team in Eureka Springs AR. I split a sampler of these with a buddy and have to say they were one of the best cigars I ever had. Think Davidoff.

One of the interesting things about the 90's was that Honduran/Dominican cigars were all the rage and Nicaraguan sticks were generally frowned upon. Padron was about the only exception and they were really only enjoyed by the hardcore smoker.

Ahhh, the 90's!

MCS
AHHHHHH, I remember the 90's...(Loved them) This was when I first got hooked(1995) on the LEAF. The A/F 858 have always since day one been in my humi & always in the rotation for me. :-) :-)

I agree, with you on the Indios. They did have alot more taste back then. That is when their band still have the RED border around it. The price tag was also in the bouble digits. WOW, how time has changed.

Originally Posted by area51:
I'm very interested in this as well. Not to hijack the thread, but what has been popular trends through the years (Ring gauge, Wrapper type, Length). Great thread.

One thing I notice is that people who don't even smoke cigars for whatever reason know Arturo Fuente and Cohiba, maybe it is great advertisement but in my mind they are the Nike of Cigars.
This is true, Fuente & Cohiba are associated/recognize with cigars on a global scale. That truly is product recognition/marketing at it's best. IMO
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:17 PM 08-15-2012
Great reading here. I suspect the majority of the members here haven't been smoking for "many" years. I always enjoy a good history lesson.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:34 PM 08-15-2012
La Gloria Cubana/El Credito/El Rico Habano: These made a huge splash in 93-97. Everybody loved Ernie Carillo and his store in Miami was a big hit. They made a version of the cigars in the DR and at the Miami store. Scoring the stuff from the Miami store was always considered best because they were supposed to have a better flavor profile.
A couple of years back a buddy of mine gave me one LGC that a friend of his brought back from Miami. His friend allegedly purchased the bundle fresh-rolled right off the roller's table. The single, unbanded stick came into my possession two weeks after they were purchased. It was still pretty wet, but smoked like a champ and rivaled many cigars I have had since. It was fantastic. Someday I'd love to score a bundle or so myself. I don't know how many facts of this are straight, but the cigar was damned good.

I'm glad this thread was put together. I hope to read more and more on this subject.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 08:08 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by area51:
Lars Tetens
Priceless! :-)
[Reply]
cryan1980 04:32 PM 08-23-2012
I can speak some about the 90's. The early-mid 90's were crazy. The boom was big and brands came out of on a dialy basis to cash in on the cigar craze. I sometimes wonder how many people stuck around when the boom went away. I feel many folks were just being trendy. A few brands that were popular and some oddities I can remember are listed below:

Arturo Fuente: This was as always, a staple for the cigar boomers. The regular line like the 8-5-8's would sell out at my local Tinder Box the same day. They were charging $8-$9 a cigar in those days.

Punch/Hoyo De Montery/El Rey Del Mundo: These were quite popular with all the boomers. Scoring a 50-cab of Punch Rothschilds was a big deal.

La Gloria Cubana/El Credito/El Rico Habano: These made a huge splash in 93-97. Everybody loved Ernie Carillo and his store in Miami was a big hit. They made a version of the cigars in the DR and at the Miami store. Scoring the stuff from the Miami store was always considered best because they were supposed to have a better flavor profile. The original release El Rico Habano was a powerhouse cigar that I've never seen matched. That cigar would make my lips numb from the nicotine every time.

Puros Indios: Believe it or not, these were all the rage for awhile. They fetched $12-$16 a stick for a couple years. I think they tasted better back then but still not one of my favorites.

Chessman Royal Reserve: This cigar was made exclusively for Cigar Express and were popular among the alt.smokers.cigars gang in the mid-90's. I was in love with the Rosado wrapped churchills.

V-Cigar: An oddity for sure. This was the first cigar that could only be purchased on the internet. They only sold them from the V-cigar site. They sucked real bad.

Garmeister Cigars: A very unusual and expensive cigar rolled by a husband and wife team in Eureka Springs AR. I split a sampler of these with a buddy and have to say they were one of the best cigars I ever had. Think Davidoff.

One of the interesting things about the 90's was that Honduran/Dominican cigars were all the rage and Nicaraguan sticks were generally frowned upon. Padron was about the only exception and they were really only enjoyed by the hardcore smoker.

Ahhh, the 90's!

MCS
Wow... I turned 18 in 1998... This list brings back some memories! The first three you list were pretty much my intro cigars
[Reply]
Tredegar 04:46 PM 08-23-2012
My grandfather used to smoke Tampa Nuggets, I believe,
back in the 60's and 70's. I can remember the ads for Fuente and Macanudo cigars even when I was not smoking.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up