Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Vacuum Sealed
shane1 08:13 PM 03-22-2011
When I get my boxes of cigars, they are usually vacuum sealed. Is it okay to keep it sealed until I am ready for them or should I open them and store them in my humi?

Shane
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:23 PM 03-22-2011
Some B&Ms store their stock like this I believe, so I don't see why not. The plastic wrap should still allow for humidity transfer.
[Reply]
T.G 08:25 PM 03-22-2011
I would recommend opening them and inspecting them for damage or other issues, as if you wait a significant amount of time to do this, you will lose your ability to go back to your vendor with a problem and request for resolution.

Exempting that, if you don't open them, then they are at whatever moisture level the vendor had them stored at prior to sealing. This could be good or bad.

If you freeze your cigars on arrival, the vacuum bag could protect them from damage during this process, so freeze for 5-7 days, then thaw and open for inspection.

On another note, why not head over to the New Inmates forum and introduce yourself, tell us a bit about your experience, likes, dislikes, etc.
[Reply]
T.G 08:32 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Some B&Ms store their stock like this I believe, so I don't see why not. The plastic wrap should still allow for humidity transfer.
True, many domestic vendors store their stock this way and usually the shrink wrap will have some perforations in it to allow air & humidity transfer so this certainly is releasable, but, I'd still open to inspect before the exchange period runs out.

I had a completely different picture in mind when the OP said "vacuum sealed".
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:40 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
I would recommend opening them and inspecting them for damage or other issues, as if you wait a significant amount of time to do this, you will lose your ability to go back to your vendor with a problem and request for resolution.

Exempting that, if you don't open them, then they are at whatever moisture level the vendor had them stored at prior to sealing. This could be good or bad.

If you freeze your cigars on arrival, the vacuum bag could protect them from damage during this process, so freeze for 5-7 days, then thaw and open for inspection.

On another note, why not head over to the New Inmates forum and introduce yourself, tell us a bit about your experience, likes, dislikes, etc.
Originally Posted by T.G:
True, many domestic vendors store their stock this way and usually the shrink wrap will have some perforations in it to allow air & humidity transfer so this certainly is releasable, but, I'd still open to inspect before the exchange period runs out.

I had a completely different picture in mind when the OP said "vacuum sealed".
:-)

Thinking about it now, Adam's got the right idea. :-)
[Reply]
Zeuceone 08:45 PM 03-22-2011
Is that what they call bag pressed?
[Reply]
shane1 06:09 AM 03-23-2011
Great, I appreciate it. The particular box is one that I got a few months ago from an online vendor and it was vacuum sealed with thick plastic (air tight) to make its long journey to me in the US. I think that I should have opened it to check for issues. I have a few more coming and I will open them when they arrive. Thanks for the input.

shane
[Reply]
Up