Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Muscle Cars
ninjavanish 08:20 PM 05-16-2012
Anyone got one?

I've been spending a lot of time lately reading up, looking at cars online, researching cam shafts, transmissions, cubic inches, rear-ends, cubic inches, etc...

Just figure someone out here's got a nice '66 GTO that they're really proud of... so post a pic!

Stories about past muscle cars (maybe now sold off for kids' college money) are cool too, specifics about the builds you guys had would be cool!

Pics or it didn't happen! Nah, just kidding, but pics would be awesome! Especially if it's a pic of you smoking a cigar while driving/posing next to/doing whatever with a premium cigar and a classic muscle car!
[Reply]
chachee52 09:23 PM 05-16-2012

My 1967 mustang with the original 289. Upgraded to a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb and Summit headers. The previous owners put some rims on her which I just fell in love with.
I've had the car since 2004 and have put a lot of work/$$$ into her but love every minute that I drive her.
The funny thing, the person who did the work on my frame was a GTO guy and loved working on my mustang.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 07:39 AM 05-17-2012
Originally Posted by chachee52:

My 1967 mustang with the original 289. Upgraded to a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb and Summit headers. The previous owners put some rims on her which I just fell in love with.
I've had the car since 2004 and have put a lot of work/$$$ into her but love every minute that I drive her.
The funny thing, the person who did the work on my frame was a GTO guy and loved working on my mustang.
That's a good looking pony.

I'm not necissarily dead set on a GTO, though I think if money were no object and I could choose any car that I wanted, a GTO would probably be a strong contender.

I've been looking at Road Runners, Coronets/Super Bees, Chevelles, GTO's, 442s, mid 60's Impalas, 'Cudas and the occasional Torino. I'm not opposed to Mustangs, Novas, Camaros or Corvettes, Chargers, Challengers etc, but I find myself wanting something little different.

Maybe a nice 71 El Camino SS?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 07:44 AM 05-17-2012
One of each?
Don't forget Javelin.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 08:07 AM 05-17-2012
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
One of each?
Don't forget Javelin.
Javelins are definitely cool and different. Though the ones to have would have been the 1970-1974 SST. Unfortunately the biggest motor you could get in those was a mere 401ci... and I may be mistaken here, but I beleive that 401 was actually a small block. It's also apparently a pain in the butt to find parts for that motor!

Of course there's always crate motors...
[Reply]
pektel 08:20 AM 05-17-2012
I wish. No garage space to work on one. My buddy has a 65 or 66 GTO, fully restored, numbers matching. Can't remember the year off hand, as we haven't talked about that car in probably 5 years. But I know he didn't turn many wrenches on it, just wrote checks.

In fact, I only have two vehicles at the moment. My DD and my 85 chev 3/4 ton 4wd pickup for hauling trash or tooling around on my property. It really is a pile, but that makes it more fun to take through the mud.

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now my wheels are turning.

If you're going for a goat, find a judge :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:42 AM 05-17-2012
My second car was a '69 Chevelle. I miss that car everyday.
I was looking at a Cuda before I bought my Chevelle, the Chevelle was cheaper.
My best friend had a '70 Mustang fast back (I think) so we cruised alot, good memories.
(I have a crappy pic somewhere of both cars, need to try and find it)
My Chevelle was nothing special, but she was special to me.
Automatic with a bench seat but I loved her.
I had big plans for her but they never happened.
She wasn't an SS but she was really clean in and out.
She had a small block 350 (still had the 307 fender tags) with Holley 4 barrel carb.
I tried to rebuild the carb myself once, ran good for a week :-).
I loved that car, it was white with a black roof (Not convertable).
5 star wheels Cragar wheels, like this:

I had to sell her when I moved from Cali to AZ.

I will try to find some poloroids I have and take a picture of a picture to post.

She kinda looked like this one but with the Cragar wheels.
[Reply]
Dave128 08:46 AM 05-17-2012
Originally Posted by chachee52:

Beautiful machine! I would consider that to quite possibly be my ultimate dream car! Some day....
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:17 AM 05-17-2012
I have a '66 mustang coupe with the original 289. My grandfather bought it new and then gave it to me in high school. Knowing nothing about cars, I started dismantling it. I put a cam in it and did some other tweaking. I also took out the interior, which was original and absolutely in tatters. I soda blasted the exterior and then started to try to repair some of the rust spots. There are plenty.

Where I stumbled. I didn't know anything about cars. I didn't have any experience with body work or rebuilding an engine. I also didn't have much of a mentor, either. So, essentially, everything I did was trial and error.

I drove the car for a couple of years in college. However, at some point, it became clear I needed more reliable transportation.

12 years later, the car sits in a garage, covered up with only a primered body, an engine that may have a blown head gasket, and a 600 cfm carb that was never properly tuned. I haven't even started on the interior and the cowls are rusted and leak and will need to be drilled out and replaced.

I will not sell the car, but I do wonder what I am going to do with it. Honestly, to do it justice, I would probably have someone else do a much more professional job in restoring it. I can learn to do most anything, but not nearly to the quality a professional can. Its a shame it still sits. :-)

Someday.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 10:30 AM 05-17-2012
I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier with a "custom" oxidized/chipped paint job. Anyone want to see pics of that?
[Reply]
Dukeuni 10:54 AM 05-17-2012
My 1965 Ford Mustang, and my sister's 1976 Super Beetle. Built this car up to drive during High School. Now it sits in the garage most of the time, except for car shows.

I look forward to doing a complete frame off restoration sometime in the future: change out the entire suspension to a current type of suspension and disc brakes, possibly put in the 5.0 engine. I would like to keep the exterior and interior the same, and just have it be a better driver.

[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:27 AM 05-17-2012
My dad's hobby. He bought it for my sister after high school but it was really for himself. He bought it from her and restored it. It's rebuilt stock for the most part, with some cosmetic and performance bolt-ons.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 11:32 AM 05-17-2012
My dad has a '72.5 Camaro in the garage awaiting his retirement to be restored. It was his first car. The first year of the Split-bumper Camaros...I like them a lot more than the straights, like the 69.
[Reply]
Up