Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Where can I find interior door keys???
forgop 05:12 PM 11-15-2010
You know the "keys" that have a flat screwdriver end that fits in a round hole and you just turn the door lock that route? I went through some stores like Menards or Home Depot some time ago in a quest to find some with no luck. Can't really even google something like interior door key to get what I'm looking for. Any suggestions???
[Reply]
hotreds 05:19 PM 11-15-2010
locksmith?
[Reply]
area51 05:20 PM 11-15-2010
I looked too but I couldn't find any, we used to just use a small flat head. My best guess would be to buy the door knob and it most likely will come with that key.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 05:33 PM 11-15-2010
Check a used home building materials store in your area like Habitat for Humanity ReStore. :-)
[Reply]
GolfNut 05:34 PM 11-15-2010
Got a can of SPAM? Use the turnkey!
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:35 PM 11-15-2010
I've used precision screwdrivers before with great success.
[Reply]
Martel 05:37 PM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I've used precision screwdrivers before with great success.
Yup. Works for me.

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
forgop 05:38 PM 11-15-2010
I know those little screwdrivers are capable, but the set I have has a much bigger gripping area and the pieces aren't long enough to reach through. I like the variety that actually came with these locks as you'd never have to worry about them rolling around anywhere. I know, it's a bit anal retentive, but I'm just "old school" on little things like this.
[Reply]
forgop 07:09 PM 11-15-2010
My brother found them for me...I may just pick up 20 of them to have one over every room with plenty left over at that price. :-)

https://www.hardwareworld.com/81087-...y-pPFKKEW.aspx
[Reply]
markem 07:14 PM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
My brother found them for me...I may just pick up 20 of them to have one over every room with plenty left over at that price. :-)

https://www.hardwareworld.com/81087-...y-pPFKKEW.aspx
We keep ours hanging on a nail over the inside of the linen closet door, which doesn't lock. Out of the way and handy, as long as someone remembers that they are there. Oh yeah, I have a note about there they are located taped to the inside of the toolbox.
[Reply]
forgop 07:26 PM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
We keep ours hanging on a nail over the inside of the linen closet door, which doesn't lock. Out of the way and handy, as long as someone remembers that they are there. Oh yeah, I have a note about there they are located taped to the inside of the toolbox.
I had one for a 4400 sq ft house and for $12, I'll have more than I can possibly lose. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:32 PM 11-15-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
I keep mine on the top of each doorjam's molding. Just reach up, there it is. invisible from the ground.
[Reply]
Bill86 08:34 PM 11-15-2010
Small screw driver, if not you can use toothpicks on some of them. I usually use toothpicks to open those doors if I accidentally lock myself out.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:53 AM 11-16-2010
Glad you found what you were looking for. I found that clotheshangers work pretty well too.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 07:35 AM 11-16-2010
I've used a Q-tip with one cotten end torn off as well. Quick, cheap, disposable, and you get to feel like Macgyver for 10 whole seconds. LOL
[Reply]
Wolfgang 08:02 AM 11-16-2010
If its the one that has the flat head screw inside you can take a coat hanger and grind the end to fit the slot. And also make millions of them!!!!!
[Reply]
thebayratt 03:07 PM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by :
Any suggestions???
Stay out of Menards and Home Depot!!

We got them at the Lowe's where I work I do believe~
[Reply]
Up