Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Bar-ware Question
Robulous78 05:37 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by bighairlogo:
no not all crystal contains lead anymore
Glad to hear for obvious reasons... :-) can't wait to see what you have Tyler... :-)
[Reply]
bighairlogo 05:38 PM 12-05-2012
yes it would, this is why they have wine vacuums and such for an opened bottle
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:40 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
The more air space you have in a bottle of bourbon, the faster it will oxidize and go down hill. If you don't buy this fact, take your mostly empty bottle of bourbon, and let it sit for 4-6 weeks. Then try it against a fresh opened bottle of the same bourbon. You will quickly throw the old out. That is the reason it is recommended that when you near the end of a bottle of bourbon, either drink it quickly, or have some friends over to help finish it off quickly.

Because of this reaction, I usually only open and finish one bottle of bourbon at a time. And I don't storing it long-term in anything that allows more air space than necessary (this would include a decanter).
I assume you are a drinker of finer libations then I am... is this just a measure to safeguard your top shelf sprites or would this make a difference with my Maker's Mark as well?
[Reply]
SvilleKid 05:41 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
Thanks for the info Sville, and I am a fan of your Avatars as well... :-)

so would the same go for the air in the bottle? would it then not make sense to put your sprite in whichever vessel that has less air-space?
It would make sense to me. I think some bottlers flush their bottles with a heavy gas before filling, so there is minimal oxygen in the "dead" space until the bottle is opened. I drink slowly, and can take many months to finish a bottle of bourbon. People that consume faster probably have little to worry about.

An interesting discussion on leaded decanters is here:

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...ad-crystal.asp

I was surprised at how fast the lead can leech into the drink!
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:44 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by bighairlogo:
yes it would, this is why they have wine vacuums and such for an opened bottle
Thanks Tyler,

I knew about the vacuum stoppers for wine but this is the first I have heard of the same effect in whiskey... I just wonder how much of a real difference it can make in a lets say, less then premium sprite, such as my Maker's Mark...
[Reply]
SvilleKid 05:46 PM 12-05-2012
I assume you are a drinker of finer libations then I am... is this just a measure to safeguard your top shelf sprites or would this make a difference with my Maker's Mark as well?
Oxidation will effect Marker's Mark just like it will Pappy Van Winkle. It's more of a time thing, I understand. I guess I should consider the immortal words of Don Henley, who sang "(I) You must not be drinkin' enough", and drink more/faster!!!
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:06 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Oxidation will effect Marker's Mark just like it will Pappy Van Winkle. It's more of a time thing, I understand. I guess I should consider the immortal words of Don Henley, who sang "You must not be drinkin' enough", and drink more/faster!!!

Sounds like a good method to me... :-)

So guys... next question... when making mixed drinks, do you find that the liqueur's your use make a vast difference in the taste of the drink? or because it is mixed do you take the cheaper way out... for instance...

Cointreau versus Orange Schnapps ?

Discuss... :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:15 PM 12-05-2012
Sounds like a good method to me... :-)

So guys... next question... when making mixed drinks, do you find that the liqueur's your use make a vast difference in the taste of the drink? or because it is mixed do you take the cheaper way out... for instance...

Cointreau versus Orange Schnapps ?

Discuss... :-)
It's liquor - not liquer. Big difference.

Better ingredients = better cocktail. Simple.
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:20 PM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:

Thanks for the info Peter,

I thought Liquor was for your main spirits like Vodka, Whiskey, Rum, Tequila ect... and that Liquer was for flavored spirits and after dinner drinks such as Schnapps, B&B, Drambuie ect...

Have I been wrong this entire time?
[Reply]
pnoon 06:25 PM 12-05-2012
Thanks for the info Peter,

I thought Liquor was for your main spirits like Vodka, Whiskey, Rum, Tequila ect... and that Liquer was for flavored spirits and after dinner drinks such as Schnapps, B&B, Drambuie ect...

Have I been wrong this entire time?
No. You got it right. It looks like I misunderstood your post.
Probably because I rarely make cocktails with liquers.

Generally, liquers are a bit lower in alcohol, too.
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:29 PM 12-05-2012
No. You got it right. It looks like I misunderstood your post.
Probably because I rarely make cocktails with liquers.

Generally, liquers are a bit lower in alcohol, too.
Good, I'm feeling smarter already... :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:19 PM 12-05-2012

Peter has it 1000% here. Even with Liqueurs, the quality matters! Worse mistake I made one time was substituting a cheap Amaretto instead of using the good stuff. Taste was off, from the start. About the only time I substitute for a cheaper liqueur is cooking, where the alcohol and majority of the taste is either burned/heated away, or overpowered by stronger tastes in the dish.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up