Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Ranco ETC - Vinotemp Installation Question for the Experts.
JY001 06:08 AM 03-22-2011
I am using a Vinotemp 28 with Beads to store my cigars. The only flaw I’ve discovered is if there is a power outage, the Vinotemp thermostat is pre-programed to default to the lowest temperature setting. which causes the RH to drop like a rock. A phone call to Vinotemp confirmed this ‘benefit’.

My Vinotemp is in a house in a remote location. If there is a power outage I may not be there to manually raise the temperature when power returns after an outage.

I’ve read that a Ranco ETC can solve this problem.

For installation of the ETC, I understand I drill a hole in the back of the Vino to insert the probe. For power and to override the Vino’s thermostat, do I just plug the ETC into the electrical wall outlet, and plug the Vino into the ETC?

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:15 AM 03-22-2011
I'm assuming the Ranco ETC is a external temp controller (ETC)? If so, then you have it right. Plug that unit into the wall and the Vinotemp into it. It will then regulate power to the Vinotemp based on the temperature readings it takes. I was looking at something similar a while back for a spare fridge I was going to turn into a sausage curing room. Same concept.
[Reply]
JY001 07:50 AM 03-22-2011
Thanks Bob. It sounded easy but I thought I'd double check before ordering.

BTW, I cure my own bacon and hams, as well as making my own sausage. Good stuff.
Attached: th_photo-1-1.jpg (4.6 KB) th_photo-6.jpg (4.6 KB) 
[Reply]
bobarian 12:28 PM 03-22-2011
If you have a lot of power outages a UPS might be a good solution. :-)
[Reply]
JY001 01:52 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
If you have a lot of power outages a UPS might be a good solution. :-)
We have a hardwired house generator that kicks in if the power goes out.
[Reply]
bobarian 02:46 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by JY001:
We have a hardwired house generator that kicks in if the power goes out.
That does not prevent the Vinotemp from resetting to 55(not the end of the world). A UPS help retain the original setting. But I dont see a problem here, a few hours or days at 55 will not harm your cigars in any way. In fact the preference of many Hong Kong collectors is low temp and low humidity for long term aging of Cuban cigars. :-)
[Reply]
Up