Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Foil
TomHagen 11:04 PM 05-19-2009
I know that foil wrapped cigars is used for aging. But what about something new that they know is ready to smoke now, in fact is sold to smoke now, but sold in foil. Example, the new Illusione mj12 and Tat Cazadores... Both Dion and Pete sell their cigars to be smoked now, so what does the foil really accomplish, marketing gimmic? Where they rolled a while ago and immed. wrapped in foil? What does wet wrapping them do? Is it different blend? etc. etc.
[Reply]
warpedcigars 11:09 PM 05-19-2009
I use foil wrapping for my Private Blend. What it does is allow the fermentation process to under go kind of a unique experience. While the cigars still have moisture in them you put them in airtight foil bundles, allow them to ferment basically in their own aromas and etc, really creating a stronger, more unique flavor and aroma. It only really works if the foil is sealed, not if the cigar is just wrapped. If moisture can escape, the whole purpose is defeated.
[Reply]
TomHagen 11:17 PM 05-19-2009
Fascinating! Thank you. I look forward to trying your creation.

So when B&M's re-wrap over the foil on a bundle of say Tat Cazadores, they are doing nothing then...?

Usually the foil is taped with a piece of scotch tape like on CC Bolivar GM's and on the new Illusione MJ12, is this considered sealed?

What about the Tat diadema and salamon that are half sealed in foil?
[Reply]
warpedcigars 11:53 PM 05-19-2009
True sealing is like the Tatuaje Black.

http://www.vitolas.net/albums/userpi...undle_foil.jpg

As you can see the air has been sucked out and sealed(like a vacuum sealer), so no air can be exchanged. Tape will do nothing, as there is no seal to prevent the air from being exchanged. The Illusione I am not familiar with the foil wrapping used, but unless its sealed(air tight), the wrapping is purely for show.

Think of it per say with food. If you have a food saver, you dont seal the bag, the food will go bad.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 12:29 AM 05-20-2009
Oh really cool, I was wondering why some were in foil as well. Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
alfbacca 09:08 PM 05-21-2009
Because I freeze all my cigars before they go into my humidor, is that going to affect the fermentation process of the foil on cigars?
[Reply]
TomHagen 10:04 PM 05-21-2009
I smoked the Illusione mj12 today that was individually wrapped in foil, it was excellent. I usually don't go for such a ring gauge, but it was a really nice smoke. Much better IMHO than the 888, the other comparable Illusione vitola. I don't know if the foil had an effect, but the pre-light smell of the cigar was FANTASTIC and the wrapper was gorgeous. Nice smoke!
[Reply]
Commander Quan 08:42 AM 05-22-2009
So your saying the gold medals aren't air tight? :-)
[Reply]
warpedcigars 10:04 AM 05-22-2009
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
So your saying the gold medals aren't air tight? :-)
Correct but the 3 boxes I got last week sure do look nice with the foil :-).
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:51 AM 08-08-2011
Question about the foil Illusione MJ12.

Should I remove the foil when I put it into my humidor or should I leave it on?
I don't know if this specific cigar's foil will continue to serve a purpose.

[Reply]
Bill86 06:00 AM 08-08-2011
Leave it on IMO.

Protects the cigar, it came with it.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:06 AM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Leave it on IMO.

That is my plan of action unless somebody convinces me otherwise.
Thanks!!!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:01 AM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
Leave it on IMO.

:-)

Plus it looks badass!
[Reply]
thechrisdotcom 09:26 AM 08-08-2011
Never heard of wrapping cigars in foil...interesting.
[Reply]
jsnake 09:37 AM 08-08-2011
I got a few of those illusiones from a friend. I didn't know what they were so I tore the foil off. Might get a few more and leave it on and see if I can see a difference in a year between with and without foil.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 10:16 AM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by jsnake:
I got a few of those illusiones from a friend. I didn't know what they were so I tore the foil off. Might get a few more and leave it on and see if I can see a difference in a year between with and without foil.
Now you are talking!
[Reply]
Up