Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>My clutch is making a weird weird sound
BUCASmoker 06:15 PM 08-03-2009
On my way home from work today, I heard a very strange sound come from my clutch a few times.

When I engage the clutch (take my foot off the pedal) to get into first, there is a high pitched screeching sound coming from where my foot is. It's very loud, and very sporadic (I can't repeat it for the life of me). Any idea what it could be? Master cylinder? Throwout bearing?

There is also a screeching sound as I press it in, but I traced that to a pivot that's right at the clutch, which I just need to lube down to fix.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 06:21 PM 08-03-2009
This is on an Acura TSX by the way
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 06:23 PM 08-03-2009
My guess would be the throw out bearing , do you have any free play in the pedal?
[Reply]
JE3146 06:25 PM 08-03-2009
I'd guess throwout bearing.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 06:45 PM 08-03-2009
If this post was from SeanGar everyone would be checking their number.
Throwout bearing is usually repeatable or somewhat consistent at the point where it just touches or releases and is a whirring kind of squeal. A screech sounds like it could be something loose inside, a piece of metal broke loose from the pressure plate or disk maybe?
How many miles? Clutch job on that should be cheap and easy.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 07:01 PM 08-03-2009
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
My guess would be the throw out bearing , do you have any free play in the pedal?
Free play? As in, the clutch pedal being loose? Not seeing any of that.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 07:02 PM 08-03-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
If this post was from SeanGar everyone would be checking their number.
Throwout bearing is usually repeatable or somewhat consistent at the point where it just touches or releases and is a whirring kind of squeal. A screech sounds like it could be something loose inside, a piece of metal broke loose from the pressure plate or disk maybe?
How many miles? Clutch job on that should be cheap and easy.
47000 miles. Aren't clutch jobs usually really expensive due to labor costs?
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 07:42 PM 08-03-2009
sounds exactly like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbWS...eature=related
[Reply]
Chris. 08:47 PM 08-03-2009
Throw out bearing. I've had the same thing happen on my CRX before. Luckily for my wallet, I'm able to do anything my car needs besides machine work.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:51 PM 08-03-2009
It sounds like the disk isn't centered to the flywheel. It would have to nestle itself in. Loose on the splines or loose pilot bearing or bushing. Annoying but not serious. We have an outfit around here called "Clutch Changers" that only does that, cheap and easy. At least they were around ten years ago, the last time I had a clutch on anything.
I also think it could be the throw out bearing except that is usually constant once it starts.
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 08:54 PM 08-03-2009
Originally Posted by Chris.:
Throw out bearing. I've had the same thing happen on my CRX before. Luckily for my wallet, I'm able to do anything my car needs besides machine work.
wouldn't a throw out bearing be consistent? If it was a throw out bearing, i'd hear it every time I shift, no?

unfortunately for my wallet, all I can do is drive the thing
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:43 PM 08-03-2009
P.S. I use to work in a transmission shop and we would grind a step into the flywheel when we did a clutch job to keep the disk centered to prevent "chatter" which is what I was suspecting this noise was.
[Reply]
Up