Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Wood or glue mites on cigars...DON"T FREAK!
e-man67 08:55 AM 04-30-2009
So I was looking for a thread for pics of other critters one might encounter that are not harmfull to cigars. I recently recieved a box of smokes and I opened the box to inspect them and noticed a tiny white insect crawling on one of the sticks. The box just came to me so I immediately freaked out and before the box hit my humi I double bagged it and threw it in the fridge (in the freezer now). Now from what I have seen about all the stages of the tobacco beetle it clearly was not the bugger I saw. What I saw kinda looked like a spider, all white, and about 1/3 the size of a head of a pin (a spec). I had no damage on any sticks in the box...no holes, slits, nothing. Did the foot test and no debris fell out of the foot. Now, I read about wood or glue mites that are a nuisance but not harmful in any way to your sticks (so don't freak like I did). Here is the statement I got from CA when doing a search and the link to it:

"Other bugs you may occasionally run into are wood mites -- small, white insects that are often the result of opening a fresh wooden box of cigars. The good news is that these mites won't harm the cigars, and they don't live long enough to seriously damage your humidor."

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...44,246,00.html

I could not find a photo of a wood/glue mite. If anyone finds one could you please post it for everyone? Thanks. :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 09:04 AM 04-30-2009
something like this:

[Reply]
e-man67 09:22 AM 04-30-2009
Pic didn't post...not sure why? :-)
[Reply]
wayner123 09:29 AM 04-30-2009
Originally Posted by e-man67:
Pic didn't post...not sure why? :-)
Crap. Let me host it:

[Reply]
e-man67 09:30 AM 04-30-2009
YES! That looks like the critter! Thanks for the photo! :-)
[Reply]
phidelt076 10:26 AM 04-30-2009
I had these in two of the four Punch Corona boxes that showed up recently. I wasn't sure what they were so I threw the boxes in the freezer to be safe.

There was one chillaxin on one of the sticks from one box, and there were two running laps in the bottom of another box.

They were tiny and I'm surprised I saw them in the first place.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 10:29 AM 04-30-2009
Thanks for the picture!
[Reply]
e-man67 11:00 AM 04-30-2009
Originally Posted by phidelt076:
I had these in two of the four Punch Corona boxes that showed up recently. I wasn't sure what they were so I threw the boxes in the freezer to be safe.

There was one chillaxin on one of the sticks from one box, and there were two running laps in the bottom of another box.

They were tiny and I'm surprised I saw them in the first place.
Yeah, I don't know if I overreacted or not...so much debate on whether or not freezing hurts the cigars...I have never done it and in the 15+ years of smoking and keeping sticks I have never had a problem. I heard that once you freeze that the cigars won't properly age anymore...I hope this isn't the case b/c I have some Partagas from 2000 in the freeze. :-)
[Reply]
karmaz00 01:30 PM 04-30-2009
thakns for the info
[Reply]
Garbandz 09:51 PM 04-30-2009
I have frozen cigars with no damage,and I have heard of importers doing it as well.They need to be in cello and in the box if possible,but I have used double zip-lock bags.Two days is a minimum,a week is better,defrost with two days in the fridge,and a few days in your humi....didn't have adverse effects,tasted and aged fine...
[Reply]
Up