Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Someone please make me smart....
icantbejon 01:09 PM 10-15-2008
So now that I've made the jump to this new and exciting site, I have a question. What exactly does a Mod do? I'm sure they have a very important job, I just have no idea what it is.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 01:10 PM 10-15-2008
Think Janitor+Handyman. Bout the same. :-)
[Reply]
markem 01:11 PM 10-15-2008
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/faq.ph...b3_mods_admins

I like to think of the mods as the gentle guiding hand that is mostly not felt.
[Reply]
icantbejon 01:26 PM 10-15-2008
Thank you gentlemen. Now I feel smarter. :-)
[Reply]
markem 01:28 PM 10-15-2008
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
Thank you gentlemen. Now I feel smarter. :-)
by the way, where'd you get that picture of Gerry for the avatar? :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:44 PM 10-15-2008
picture of a mods at work

[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 07:33 PM 10-16-2008
LOL love all the descriptions. The thing I always kept in mind when MOD'ing is "what's best for the community?"

IMO the job of a MOD is to always keep the community's best interest at heart and try and act accordingly.
[Reply]
Whee 07:40 PM 10-16-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0-XrZoHj2k
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:42 PM 10-16-2008
Their job and the absolute need for mods became quite evident when I joined.:-)

MCS
[Reply]
Scottw 07:46 PM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
LOL love all the descriptions. The thing I always kept in mind when MOD'ing is "what's best for the community?"

IMO the job of a MOD is to always keep the community's best interest at heart and try and act accordingly.
And we appreciate you all and the work you do! Thanks to all the Mod's!!:-):-)
[Reply]
poker 09:04 PM 10-16-2008
If one performs their mod duties just right, the work is virtually invisable most times. Many times issues get addressed behind the scenes before most folks even have an idea something was amiss. Many times its a thankless job, but it has its perks as well.

The main and most important thing accepting a position as a moderator, is accept the position for the right reasons. Only you know what your reasons are, but the truth will be visable to many before long.

Moderators do not control the boards, but rather they nudge the board into the best possible direction or in a direction desired by the administraor. A heavy hand is usually never the solution.

In a nutshell:
Moderator = taking out the trash + referee + no pay + no 401K + long hours + hated by a few + making hard decisions correctly + being tactful + being told to F off sometimes + being a team player + you get the picture :-)
[Reply]
Dood 09:12 PM 10-16-2008
Didn't you see Quadrophenia?

These are the mods:

[Reply]
dannyboy 09:15 PM 10-16-2008
Originally Posted by poker:
If one performs their mod duties just right, the work is virtually invisable most times. Many times issues get addressed behind the scenes before most folks even have an idea something was amiss. Many times its a thankless job, but it has its perks as well.

The main and most important thing accepting a position as a moderator, is accept the position for the right reasons. Only you know what your reasons are, but the truth will be visable to many before long.

Moderators do not control the boards, but rather they nudge the board into the best possible direction or in a direction desired by the administraor. A heavy hand is usually never the solution.

In a nutshell:
Moderator = taking out the trash + referee + no pay + no 401K + long hours + hated by a few + making hard decisions correctly + being tactful + being told to F off sometimes + being a team player + you get the picture :-)
Well then, let me say THANK YOU! I am not entirely sure all that a mod does, as you say, most is behind the scenes. I just know that we all owe our ability to come here in this community and have civilized discussion to you guys. Thanks to all the mods you guys are rocking it on the new site!
[Reply]
Up