Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Does anyone remember those toys?
shilala 11:02 AM 11-28-2014
They were kinda like zip ties.
But you pulled them through a plastic thing and they said sh1t.
You could also use your fingernail and get a whole different sounding voice.
They were pretty maddening to get the speed right and keep the cadence right so you could understand what they said, but were pretty sweet.

I could very well be foggy on the details, cause most of my rememory is fried.
The reason I ask is that I fill the kid's stockings with nostalgic toys every year in hopes that that don't grow up completely retarded.
So far, so good. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:09 PM 11-28-2014
I seem to recall two different versions there were the "STP" (?) toys that had the zipper thing you fed in to the gear, pulled the shiiiiiit out of it and let it go and then there was the wind up version as seen below

edit and ....

[Reply]
dijit 03:14 PM 11-28-2014
I think these are what you are speaking of but I dont remember them talking. Tehy were hella fun though. I still see them every once in a while at garage sales and flea markets.

http://www.retroland.com/ssp-racers/
[Reply]
TXRebel 11:56 PM 11-28-2014
Is this what you are asking about: http://www.grand-illusions.com/acata...ing_Tapes.html

The best ssp toy when I was a kid:
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:27 AM 11-29-2014
That was it SSP .. they basically make all those "zip pull" type of cars and motorcycles, mine didn't talk, of course I wasn't trippin out. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 06:00 AM 11-29-2014
Originally Posted by TXRebel:
Is this what you are asking about: http://www.grand-illusions.com/acata...ing_Tapes.html
That is exactly what I was asking about. Talking tapes. Thank You!!! :-)

I called my brother yesterday to ask him about it.
He had an STP rocket car. (Remember STP oil?) They were the king of rocket cars. The one he got had a rip cord of course, was shaped like one of those salt flat rocket cars that were breaking the speed of sound in those days, and also had a talking tape slot on the other side of the rip cord hole.
One tape made race car noises and the other said "ready, set, go!!!" when you ripped it.
It also shot sparks out it's ass for the first 10 runs or so, then the spark thing wore out. So my brother went to the Western Auto store and got a couple model rocket rockets. Bored out the back end of his car, jammed them in, and built a fire behind it to get the car burning and set off the rockets.
It did about a half dozen loops at 1,000mph and then burned up.

Funny part is that he did odd jobs for months just to get that car. Raking leaves, cutting grass, resetting brick sidewalks, all that stuff. That's all we did when we were kids is work. We were entrepeneurs because we got bored easily.
We also liked to set everything on fire, because that's what Evel Knievel did.
If it went fast, it had to be on fire and ultimately blow up. Made perfectly good sense.
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:25 AM 11-29-2014
Originally Posted by shilala:
That is exactly what I was asking about. Talking tapes. Thank You!!! :-)

I called my brother yesterday to ask him about it.
He had an STP rocket car. (Remember STP oil?) They were the king of rocket cars. The one he got had a rip cord of course, was shaped like one of those salt flat rocket cars that were breaking the speed of sound in those days, and also had a talking tape slot on the other side of the rip cord hole.
One tape made race car noises and the other said "ready, set, go!!!" when you ripped it.
It also shot sparks out it's ass for the first 10 runs or so, then the spark thing wore out. So my brother went to the Western Auto store and got a couple model rocket rockets. Bored out the back end of his car, jammed them in, and built a fire behind it to get the car burning and set off the rockets.
It did about a half dozen loops at 1,000mph and then burned up.

Funny part is that he did odd jobs for months just to get that car. Raking leaves, cutting grass, resetting brick sidewalks, all that stuff. That's all we did when we were kids is work. We were entrepeneurs because we got bored easily.
We also liked to set everything on fire, because that's what Evel Knievel did.
If it went fast, it had to be on fire and ultimately blow up. Made perfectly good sense.
:-) :-)
[Reply]
G G 06:39 AM 11-29-2014
Me and my brother had a couple of those Evel Motorcycles and maybe I remember having the Smash uU Derby. And also the REAL Tonka Toys that were made out of real metal and were heavy.
[Reply]
jjirons69 08:53 PM 11-30-2014
Never had the talking strips, but I did have both the Evel motorcycle and the Smash Up Derby car set. Bad ass.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:17 PM 11-30-2014
Oh TALKING tapes.... we had these, never could tell if it was real or Memorex.

[Reply]
Subvet642 09:55 PM 11-30-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Oh TALKING tapes.... we had these, never could tell if it was real or Memorex.

Hell, I still have my near mint Sony Walkman.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:50 PM 11-30-2014
I was totally into Evel Knievel and actually my whole street was. What a childhood hero he was to all of us. I had the rocket and the motorcycle toy.

Planet of the Apes action figures, GI Joe and then later on Star Wars cards were big.
[Reply]
Up