Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Bead Options?
Hammerhead 08:39 AM 04-19-2021
Howdy, guys.

While I wait for a new humidor being built by Ed @ WaxingMoon as a gift for a friend, I need to pick up some beads to go along with it. Just wondering what everyone is using these days (y'all still sourcing from Shalaila?), or if there's any new tech that I ought to be looking at.

Thanks in advance!
[Reply]
markem 08:48 AM 04-19-2021
Scott sold his business to Cigarnut. PM him and he will hook you up.
[Reply]
Hammerhead 08:49 AM 04-19-2021
Originally Posted by markem:
Scott sold his business to Cigarnut. PM him and he will hook you up.
Roger that. Thanks!
[Reply]
Hammerhead 06:23 AM 06-01-2024
Just revisiting this thread. Now that I have a new humidor coming in from Waxing Moon, I'm curious to understand the difference among bead (and other) options - I might even consider Boveda packs.

I've used the old Shilala (sp?) and Heartfelt beads for years, but I see Mark has clay beads. What I'm puzzled about is that unlike the silica type beads I'm used to which have a set RH, the clay beads say that you can change the humidity level up or down. That makes no sense to me, and kind of defeats the purpose of having a target RH. If the beads can be 'reset' to a higher or lower level, how do they know when to start or stop absorbing or giving off humidity?

What am I missing? Should I be looking at Boveda instead?

TIA!
[Reply]
icehog3 07:29 AM 06-01-2024
I still use the beads from CigarNut, I believe he has a website.

Nice to see you back! :-)
[Reply]
Hammerhead 07:30 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I still use the beads from CigarNut, I believe he has a website.

Nice to see you back! :-)
Good to be seen. :-)

Still trying to get my head around how the clay beads work. If they can be 'readjusted' to a higher or lower RH, how can they also be set to 65RH? I guess I'm just not understanding it.

BTW I thought you were in Chi-town. Did you move?
[Reply]
icehog3 07:57 AM Today
Originally Posted by Hammerhead:
Good to be seen. :-)

Still trying to get my head around how the clay beads work. If they can be 'readjusted' to a higher or lower RH, how can they also be set to 65RH? I guess I'm just not understanding it.

BTW I thought you were in Chi-town. Did you move?
I've never tried the clay, never felt the need.

I am still in Chicagoland, the Clermont reference is a nod to my favorite bourbon. :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 09:11 AM Today
I have the older beads in one cooler door and the clay in the other. They both work.

I agree that the explanation of “setting” the clay beads doesn’t make sense to me.

The Boveda packs work with saturated salt solutions. That’s a well established method of calibrating instruments. I’ve found you can recharge them by putting them in a very moist environment and waiting.
[Reply]
Up