Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>First CA Review: Tatuaje Miami FF 2009 (Cojonu 2nd)
themadurokid 08:50 PM 01-29-2010
First, I must give a big thanks to Whodeeni for providing me with this great cigar for my first review. I also must say that I forgot to take a picture of the stick previous to lighting it. Ok, here we go…

Cigar: Tatuaje Miami FF 2009 (Cojonu 2nd)
Size: 6 ¾ X 47
Origin: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

Appearance and Construction (5/5): The wrapper of this cigar has a few thin veins, but I sure wouldn’t call it anything to complain about, in fact it was pretty seamless. It was very well constructed, with no soft spots or real imperfections. It is beautifully topped with a triple belicoso cap.

Flavor & Notes (4/5): I found the scent of the wrapper of this cigar mildly laced with a blend of cedar and tobacco. The foot of the cigar greeted my nose warmly with notes of pepper and fruit. The prelight draw offered some coffee, sweet cedar, and mysterious fruity essence that lingered on my palate. Upon lighting, more cedar and fruit whisper up through my nose, teasing me of what’s to come. The first third is spectacular. My palate is graced with a cool smooth blend of sweet evergreens, oak, straw and a fruit growing stronger with every draw. At this point the flavors are starting to open up and separate. Like a kid in a candy store, I am happily introduced to flavors of citrus, honey, and light notes of ginger and cinnamon all dancing gracefully within the woodsy smoke. During the 2nd third of the cigar, a ghost of a cherry essence slowly crept up and revealed itself as the mysterious fruity essence hiding in the folds of the prelight draw. Here the young bull begins to grow his horns. In the final third, the sweetness of the fruit in the smoke has slowly faded into all but a memory. However, it leaves a well beaten path for even more exquisite flavors of rich dark chocolate, roasted espresso beans, more of a leathery tobacco, roasted nuts, oak, salt and a whispered secret of cedar.

Burn/Ash/Draw (4/5): The burn on this delicious stoagie was pretty darn even. There were a few moments when it looked like it wanted to run, but it quickly got a hold of itself and jumped back into formation. The ash was a marbled gray, and it certainly did its job of keeping the smoke cool. The draw was perfecto.

Overall (4/5): I really enjoyed this cigar. Its flaws were minimal at worst. After trying this 2009, I’m now dying to get my hands on both the 03 and the 06. This is a very well constructed, complex and smooth smoke. If you can find one, I’d recommend taking the plunge and getting one or a couple. Can’t wait to have another…Thanks for reading…Peace. ~ The Maduro Kid

[Reply]
Kreth 08:57 PM 01-29-2010
Nice review. Sounds like a great smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
issues 10:28 PM 01-29-2010
Thanks for the review! :-)

I really loved the 2003 but came away disappointed with the 2006 (it got really mushy on me at the end).

May have to pick up a 2009 when I get a chance...

:-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:29 PM 01-29-2010
Thanks for the review. Hope to see more in the future. :-)
[Reply]
Tripp 10:54 PM 01-29-2010
A common misconception, is that(from my understanding), these aren't actually 2nds at all . Simply a batch that used a mold that was a little smaller than Pete intended. Now if only I could get my hands on one. Great Review!
[Reply]
themadurokid 11:48 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Tripp:
A common misconception, is that(from my understanding), these aren't actually 2nds at all . Simply a batch that used a mold that was a little smaller than Pete intended. Now if only I could get my hands on one. Great Review!
I understood that they came from a slightly smaller mold, but I was under the impression that a 2nd was anything that didn't make it past QC. What exactly does the the term factory 2nd mean? Not tryin to be a smart alec. I'd really like to know. Thanks for your insight!
[Reply]
Tripp 12:11 AM 01-30-2010
Originally Posted by themadurokid:
I understood that they came from a slightly smaller mold, but I was under the impression that a 2nd was anything that didn't make it past QC. What exactly does the the term factory 2nd mean? Not tryin to be a smart alec. I'd really like to know. Thanks for your insight!
The way I read the description, it sounded like these were rolled before the 1st's, and just weren't the right size, so by definition, they are 2nds, but... I'm starting to confuse myself now:-) I think what I meant is that they aren't what most people think of when they think of 2nds, meaning sticks that weren't good enough to don the band.

BTW, the main reason I bring this up, is because on another board, there were a lot of BOTL's complaining about paying so much for 2nds.
[Reply]
yes please 08:58 PM 02-05-2010
Tats are the way.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 09:13 PM 02-05-2010
The way I read the description, it sounded like these were rolled before the 1st's, and just weren't the right size, so by definition, they are 2nds, but... I'm starting to confuse myself now:-) I think what I meant is that they aren't what most people think of when they think of 2nds, meaning sticks that weren't good enough to don the band.

BTW, the main reason I bring this up, is because on another board, there were a lot of BOTL's complaining about paying so much for 2nds.
$8-9 a stick ain't bad imo

These smokes are very good, and for the price, they are a steal. I thought these smoked like the Cazadores.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:08 AM 02-06-2010
I wish I would have bought a bundle of these... dang it!!!
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:01 AM 02-06-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
:-) What he said!......Nice review Kirbee, Thanks
[Reply]
colimo 12:51 PM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
me three:-)
[Reply]
longknocker 12:57 PM 02-07-2010
Great Review! I Love The Fruit & Citrus Flavor Profile In A Cigar!:-)
[Reply]
Razorhog 01:05 PM 02-07-2010
Great review! Makes me want to try these. I haven't checked the price, but the tats I've seen are too expensive, IMO.
[Reply]
okieRob 01:11 PM 02-07-2010
Thanks for the review. I've got a couple of these in the humi but I haven't been brave enough to go there yet. They just have an intimidating look :-)

I guess I'm going to have to dig one out and give it a go.
[Reply]
Up