Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Breast Cancer waste?
OLS 01:43 PM 10-04-2009
Anybody get the feeling a big NFL check for a million dollars for Breast cancer research would have been better spent money
than a million dollars worth of hats, shirts, wristbands, cheerleader poms, towels, cups, gloves, and who knows what else?
Helmet stickers, banners, field chalk and maybe the towels would have been fine.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:05 PM 10-04-2009
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Had to look it up, Brad, as I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Got it now.
[Reply]
captain53 02:07 PM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by OLS:
Anybody get the feeling a big NFL check for a million dollars for Breast cancer research would have been better spent money
than a million dollars worth of hats, shirts, wristbands, cheerleader poms, towels, cups, gloves, and who knows what else?
Helmet stickers, banners, field chalk and maybe the towels would have been fine.
:-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 02:12 PM 10-04-2009
MLB does this too. They have one or two games where they all wear ribbons and use pink bats and sweat bands. I'm with you OLS, I think the money would be better spent just given to research.
[Reply]
dunng 03:30 PM 10-04-2009
Maybe they will auction off some game worn items?
[Reply]
Coach Deg 03:38 PM 10-04-2009
All items will be auctioned off at NFL.com. Baseball does the same thing by the auction. I believe the auction or the couple of million is a wash, but it is the awareness with the money, that can make a difference and maybe save lives.
[Reply]
yourchoice 03:55 PM 10-04-2009
I know around here, the pink Eagles jerseys and hats are big sellers to the woman andd young girls fans. I'm pretty sure all proceeds for these items go towards research.

I'm guessing they did their homework and know what generates more money for the cause.

[Reply]
Whee 03:59 PM 10-04-2009
Me thinks the typical NFL-watcher, doesn;t think a lot about breast cancer. So, if this gets some guys to think about it, contribute something, seems worth the effort to me.:-)
[Reply]
captain53 04:04 PM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by RPmark:
All items will be auctioned off at NFL.com. Baseball does the same thing by the auction. I believe the auction or the couple of million is a wash, but it is the awareness with the money, that can make a difference and maybe save lives.
That certainly sheds a positive light on it, I sure support the cause just like seeing money for research that might lead to a prevention or cure.:-)
[Reply]
taltos 06:19 AM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by captain53:
That certainly sheds a positive light on it, I sure support the cause just like seeing money for research that might lead to a prevention or cure.:-)
Sometimes you need to spend money to make money. The auctions and fan contributions that the pink reminder generated hopefully will more than make up for what was spent creating the pink items.
[Reply]
OLS 06:53 AM 10-05-2009
After thinking about it during the day I realized that they would probably
be selling the stuff later, and that makes more sense now to maximize the possibilities.
In that case, my new complaint is "there wasn't NEARLY enough pink crap out there."

But my initial complaint WAS about spending money to make money. Far too many
charities spend SO MUCH money on promotion that the cause often gets a smaller cut
than the publicity companies, the venues, the magazines, the printers, etc.
But I guess you can't take that part out of the equation. Still, I give to charities
that do not have a big profile. That and St. Jude.
[Reply]
VTDragon 08:42 AM 10-05-2009
It's about AWARENESS. If one football fan suggests to encourages his reluctant wife or girlfiend that she get screened for Breast Cancer and her life is saved the whole effort is worthwhile
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:06 AM 10-05-2009
I'd buy a Pink Panthers Jersey!

Gary, you barely beat me to it.
AWARENESS is paramount.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:10 AM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by VTDragon:
It's about AWARENESS. . .

That said - I participate in several bowling tournaments a year that are for Breast Cancer. Hats, coffee cups, stickers, teddy bears, etc etc are all given away or won during these events. I have on my desk here a specially designed Waterford candy bowl (has the pink ribbon design inlays in it) that I got for 8 strikes in a row.

Every single item given away is "purchased" through a Susan G. Komen foundation. So all the money spent to promote the awareness of the cause gets back in some way. I'm sure it works in a similar manner at the major league sporting events due to licensing and such.

Ron
[Reply]
RGD. 11:21 AM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by VTDragon:
It's about AWARENESS. . .

That said - I participate in several bowling tournaments a year that are for Breast Cancer. Hats, coffee cups, stickers, teddy bears, etc etc are all given away or won during these events. I have on my desk here a specially designed Waterford candy bowl (has the pink ribbon design inlays in it) that I got for 8 strikes in a row.

Every single item given away is "purchased" through a Susan G. Komen foundation. So all the money spent to promote the awareness of the cause gets back in some way. I'm sure it works in a similar manner at the major league sporting events due to licensing and such.

Ron
[Reply]
Up