Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>So, I'm a cheapskate (DIY pipe repair)
kzm007 04:16 AM 03-07-2009
And I hate to pay shipping on pipes.

I can't easily get to a B & M for a new pipe.

I don't have a lot of room to publicly display pipes, nor do I want to, as I'm only a newbie yet, so I hate to buy replacements in bulk and leave them lying out.

I smoke cheap mini-cobs.

Knowing all this, in cleaning my pipe last night, I drove a hole through the putty. I plugged it with a cotton ball, and I mean tightly. I cut the protruding wisps off, and shaved it smooth, kept compressing it down flat.

I haven't smoked it yet, but before I sacrifice the tobacco, do you think it will work? I likened it to smoking a cigarette down to the filter; it's not going to do any true damage, right?

Points for creativity, or am I just pathetic for trying? :-)
[Reply]
outbackblackjack 06:49 AM 03-07-2009
I have not tried a cotton ball before but I use wood dowel rods trimmed to fit to repair the bottoms of cobs.
[Reply]
kzm007 07:19 PM 03-07-2009
Worth a shot I guess, for the cotton balls, and thanks. You just glue it in place I assume?
[Reply]
morefifemusic 07:55 AM 03-08-2009
I would assume since cotton is flammable it may ignite. Part of the function of the pipe walls and bottom is to absorb and dissipate heat, another thing I am not sure the cotton would do well.

You can always smoke it and give it a try though! :-)

-Tyler
[Reply]
Professor Mike 03:30 PM 03-08-2009
Kegan:
Let me do some digging and I'll see If I can come up with a couple decent pipes to send to you. I can't a future literary genius smoking a mini-cob.

Kindest Reguards
Mike
[Reply]
kzm007 10:18 PM 03-08-2009
Gentlemen, I thank you. 'Tis true that cotton burns, but at least that way my tobacco would stay lit :-). Half-joking.

I buy cobs because they're cheap and easy to maintain. I'd hate to buy something as nice as a Peterson or a Savinelli, and destroy it in my newbie-ness, after all.

This whole generosity and outpouring of help is the whole reason I joined CS. Glad to see the insanity of that kindness, lost in today's world, has a home here at CA.

Thanks to all who've replied - Kegan
[Reply]
Up