Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>The Lost Symbol - book review
md4958 08:05 PM 02-17-2010
By Dan Brown, author of The DaVinci Code

Read the synopsis from the jacket here

Im a big fan of Dan Brown's books, so I was looking forward to this one. I realize that there has been some serious controversy surrounding his books, but they should be taken for what they are, entertainment, not fact.

Ive read all his books and I have to say, this was my least favorite. I found parts of it kind of predictable, and wasnt really sucked in like I was with some of his other works.

Not that I disliked it... I breezed through the book in three days. I just would recommend Angels and Demons or DaVinci Code before this book.

One thing I will say, it has sparked an interest in Freemasonry for me.

Anybody else read this? Your thoughts?
[Reply]
Darrell 08:06 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
That's what we were afraid of, Moe.
[Reply]
md4958 08:13 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
That's what we were afraid of, Moe.
So you Masons dont like the attention? The way they are advertising AskafreemasonDOTcom on the radio around here I was under the impression that the brotherhood was hurting for new members?
[Reply]
Darrell 08:15 PM 02-17-2010
So you Masons dont like the attention? The way they are advertising AskafreemasonDOTcom on the radio around here I was under the impression that the brotherhood was hurting for new members?
We don't like people seeking out our organization to see if what they read in the book is real or not. That's the wrong reason to become interested in the fraternity.

As far as askafreemason.org is concerned that is ran by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, perhaps MA Masonry could use some members -- but overall we are doing just fine with membership.
[Reply]
Beer Doctor 08:27 PM 02-17-2010
Im a big fan of Dan Brown's books, so I was looking forward to this one. I realize that there has been some serious controversy surrounding his books, but they should be taken for what they are, entertainment, not fact.

Ive read all his books and I have to say, this was my least favorite. I found parts of it kind of predictable, and wasnt really sucked in like I was with some of his other works.

Not that I disliked it... I breezed through the book in three days. I just would recommend Angels and Demons or DaVinci Code before this book.

I agree with your comments. I preordered this and read it in a few days. I thought it was very predictable. I thought it was good but not great like the others. I enjoyed Deception Point and Digital Fortress more than The Lost Symbol. IMO Angels and Demons was his best.
[Reply]
md4958 08:32 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
We don't like people seeking out our organization to see if what they read in the book is real or not. That's the wrong reason to become interested in the fraternity.
I should have clarified in my earlier post. The book said some very flattering things about the brotherhood of Masonry and the positive aspects of the organization, (charity, etc.) That is what got me interested... not the fairy tale that it is made out to be.
[Reply]
Darrell 08:35 PM 02-17-2010
I should have clarified in my earlier post. The book said some very flattering things about the brotherhood of Masonry and the positive aspects of the organization, (charity, etc.) That is what got me interested... not the fairy tale that it is made out to be.
:-)

I'm glad we are talking via PM about it.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:06 PM 02-17-2010
I read this book and while I found it very enjoyable, it was like I was reading any other Dan Brown book.
As far as Freemasonry goes, I think Dan Brown could have done much worse with all the conspiracy theories out there, and liked that he was overall favorable towards Freemasons.
Like Darrell said, there is a worry that this book will/is spurring a large amount of petitions for the wrong reasons. It happened with National Treasure, and it's happening now.
[Reply]
jsnake 09:29 PM 02-17-2010
I think Dan Brown is an excellent writer of fiction. I liked Angels & Demons the most. While he might be controversial he really has a talent for writing. I usually read his books in 1 to 2 days. I can't put them down. Looking forward to reading this one and judging for myself.
[Reply]
massphatness 09:52 PM 02-17-2010
I wish my dad had a super secret capstone. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:57 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
I wish my dad had a super secret capstone. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
He does. Look behind the socks in the underwear drawer! :-)
[Reply]
MikeyC 06:56 AM 02-18-2010
The lodge in my town has hosted several "open houses" over the last year. I recently learned that my grandfather was a free mason and so that's sparked an interest for me.

Anyway, the book was good but not great. I found most of the plot twists to be predictable as many have said. Overall, I think it's worth a read but not the best book I've ever read.
[Reply]
Darrell 10:36 AM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
The lodge in my town has hosted several "open houses" over the last year. I recently learned that my grandfather was a free mason and so that's sparked an interest for me.

Anyway, the book was good but not great. I found most of the plot twists to be predictable as many have said. Overall, I think it's worth a read but not the best book I've ever read.
Open houses have a few different purposes.

One it gives Men who might not otherwise come check us out because of not knowing any other Masons the opportunity to come and out and not be the "odd man" in the group.

It also allows the conspiracy theorists the chance to come see we're not sacrificing goats or doing any sort of cloak and dagger stuff.

Overall it gives people an idea what we are all about. We put our emblem on our buildings, we have emblems on our cars, we wear rings, etc. We are not hiding like some people would like to think and it's events like this that reinforce that fact.
[Reply]
icantbejon 11:03 AM 02-18-2010
I've been a little interested in the Masons since finding out that my grandpa was one. He asked my father to join, but my mom was against that idea so he never did.

As for the book...I thought it was pretty good. I would agree with the above comments that it wasn't as good as DaVinci or A&D, but good none the less. Definitely a worthwhile read. Brown sparks so much interest in things a normal person would never even begin to think about. How many people googled Noetic Science after reading the book? Or with DaVinci, how many people googled the Mona Lisa to see if it looked like a man. He is a very creative author and I dig reading his stuff.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:51 AM 02-18-2010
By Dan Brown, author of The DaVinci Code ...

Have not read this yet; how do you think it compared to Angels and Demons (Book not Movie)?
[Reply]
md4958 02:33 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Have not read this yet; how do you think it compared to Angels and Demons (Book not Movie)?
Angels and Demons is one of my favorite books, the movie didnt hold a candle to it.

If you havent read Dan Brown you should start with the DaVinci Code/ Angels and Demons

Digital Fortress and Deception Point are great too, with DF being more enjoyable for me.

The Lost Symbol was my least favorite book that Brown has written thus far. Like I said, it wasnt bad, however it didnt "grip" me like the other books.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:40 PM 02-18-2010
Angels and Demons is one of my favorite books, the movie didnt hold a candle to it.

If you havent read Dan Brown you should start with the DaVinci Code/ Angels and Demons

Digital Fortress and Deception Point are great too, with DF being more enjoyable for me.

The Lost Symbol was my least favorite book that Brown has written thus far. Like I said, it wasnt bad, however it didnt "grip" me like the other books.
I've read both A&D and DC, just wondering if LS is worth it. I will probably read the e-book when I get some time.

Have not sampled DF or DP -- might have to give them a try as I like Brown's writing in general.
[Reply]
Up