Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Entertainment>Edge of Darkness (2009)
Darrell 10:32 PM 01-30-2010
Mel Gibson is Detective Thomas Craven, a seasoned Boston P.D. Officer. On his way to take his adult daughter to the hospital she is gunned down on his doorstep. Initially it is thought to be a hit which was intended for him, what comes next is a series of twists and conspiracies which will keep most everyone interested.

It was nice to see Mel Gibson in a leading role, since his last one was Signs in 2002. He played a very believable and determined Father, hell bent on finding his daughters killers. The storyline was kind of “cookie cutter” in my opinion, meaning I have seen this movie before but it had a different name and a few different details. There are some pretty gnarly scenes of brutality, especially when his daughter is gunned down. I’m sure the gore hounds can appreciate that.

Overall I wish I had waited for DVD for this one. Was it a good movie? Yeah, I guess. However, I’d have rather seen Mel Gibson’s return to stardom in a more creative movie.
[Reply]
Kreth 10:46 PM 01-30-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
The storyline was kind of “cookie cutter” in my opinion, meaning I have seen this movie before but it had a different name and a few different details.
I haven't seen this yet, but from the trailers, it looks like a cross between Payback and Ransom.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Darrell 10:15 AM 01-31-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
I haven't seen this yet, but from the trailers, it looks like a cross between Payback and Ransom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, that is a fair assumption. It's very much a "cookie cutter" revenge / whodoneit flick.
[Reply]
ScottishSmoker 12:41 PM 02-08-2010
"Payback" itself was a remake....of a GREAT movie called "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin....
I went and saw it yesterday instead of watching the Super Bowl....I thought it was a decent movie...however, as Darrell mentioned, very cookie-cutter. The religious statements throughout the movie by Mel Gibson's character were a little too much in my opinion, especially since they never gave any back story too why he would be that way. The lack of other details in the movie also make it way too predictable and almost easy. What was Ray Winstone's character dying from? How was the corrupt Senator an actual character that had to be? There were many a plot hole...but all in all, a good way too burn up 2 hours with a non-computer animated movie....
[Reply]
md4958 12:54 PM 02-08-2010
Looking forward to this flick only because it was shot locally. The crew would come in on a daily basis for the week or so they were in town and bring a couple dozen pastries back to the set.

Not sure if Mel partook though :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 01:01 PM 02-08-2010
Wife and I enjoyed it!
[Reply]
smitdavi 08:30 PM 02-08-2010
Katie and I were not impressed by this movie. Actually we were kind of upset we paid 19.00 bucks to see it. It might be worth a DVD rental....maybe.
[Reply]
Up