Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Nitrogen in tires?
BryanB 03:35 PM 12-06-2010
I just got my first truck with a tire pressure system. The first cold night and the light is on and my tire pressure is low. I read that nitrogen helps with this problem. Anybody use nitrogen instead of air? Is it worth the price?

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
longknocker 03:37 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by BryanB:
I just got my first truck with a tire pressure system. The first cold night and the light is on and my tire pressure is low. I read that nitrogen helps with this problem. Anybody use nitrogen instead of air? Is it worth the price?

Thanks in advance.
I Do In Both My Vehicles & I Think It Helps In Cold Weather.:-)
[Reply]
pektel 03:41 PM 12-06-2010
It may. Remember that regular air is like 85% nitrogen anyways. Just keep an eye on the pressure, and you are all set.

The nitrogen thing is like snake oil to me. But I have an air compressor in the garage, and can check pressure/top off the tires every night if I felt like it. Especially for the exhorbitant price they charge for it. If they'd do it for free, I may try it.
[Reply]
Eleven 05:01 PM 12-06-2010
Consumer Reports: "Overall, consumers can use nitrogen and might enjoy the slight improvement in air retention provided, but it's not a substitute for regular inflation checks."
[Reply]
hotreds 05:54 PM 12-06-2010
gimmick
[Reply]
bigswol2 05:59 PM 12-06-2010
I just use air!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:02 PM 12-06-2010
If you are a NASCAR driver you need nitrogen. Otherwise... no!!
[Reply]
longknocker 06:03 PM 12-06-2010
I Have A New Acura; The Dealer Recommended Nitrogen Because Several People Were Having The Tire Pressure Warning Going Off When The Weather Turned Colder. My Tires Stay @ 35 PSI & Have For The Last 6 Months.

:-)
[Reply]
Ogre 06:03 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
If you are a NASCAR driver you need nitrogen. Otherwise... no!!
:-) your tires dont get hot enough to worry about it. Just do regular pressure checks and all will be good.
[Reply]
Sled Dog 06:55 PM 12-06-2010
Your tire pressure can have some pretty significant changes throughout the day. In the fall on cold mornings, my Z will have read out at 29 psi in the tires when its 35 degrees, then later in the day when its 70 and sunny, the tires will be 34-35 psi. In the winter, I just fill the tires and check the pressure when its in the mid 20's and i'm good to go
[Reply]
akumushi 07:48 PM 12-06-2010
Also, I may be off here, but don't your tires warm up considerably once you're driving? Even if the reading is off in the morning before you get started, I would think that you'd be good to by the time you hit the highway:-)
[Reply]
awsmith4 07:54 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
I Have A New Acura; The Dealer Recommended Nitrogen Because Several People Were Having The Tire Pressure Warning Going Off When The Weather Turned Colder. My Tires Stay @ 35 PSI & Have For The Last 6 Months.

:-)
That may be the answer for my mother's accord although the tire pressure light wouldn't even go off while I was driving it down in FL.
[Reply]
jledou 08:01 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
It may. Remember that regular air is like 85% nitrogen anyways. Just keep an eye on the pressure, and you are all set.

The nitrogen thing is like snake oil to me. But I have an air compressor in the garage, and can check pressure/top off the tires every night if I felt like it. Especially for the exhorbitant price they charge for it. If they'd do it for free, I may try it.

Air is just under 79% nitrogen. I get the warning on the first cold day of the year and put a little air back in and all is good until the summer ( 6 months typically) which is about the normal leak rate for air on most tires. Nitrogen is slower in most cases but a lot more expensive to refill.

Another point of view http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788
[Reply]
Sled Dog 10:00 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by akumushi:
Also, I may be off here, but don't your tires warm up considerably once you're driving? Even if the reading is off in the morning before you get started, I would think that you'd be good to by the time you hit the highway:-)
You will gain maybe 2 - 3 psi if you drive for a bit, but that's the most I've noticed even in the summer.
[Reply]
longknocker 10:09 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by jledou:
Air is just under 79% nitrogen. I get the warning on the first cold day of the year and put a little air back in and all is good until the summer ( 6 months typically) which is about the normal leak rate for air on most tires. Nitrogen is slower in most cases but a lot more expensive to refill.

Another point of view http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788
Great Article, Jay!:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:25 AM 12-07-2010
If someone wants me to pay it forward with a Pif other than cigars, I can send you a Nitrogen Bomb. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:29 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
If someone wants me to pay it forward with a Pif other than cigars, I can send you a Nitrogen Bomb. :-)
Is that anything like a :-) ?
[Reply]
icehog3 10:43 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Is that anything like a :-) ?
Maybe.......
[Reply]
Up