Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Who says you can't use a ZTR mower in the winter?
forgop 03:43 PM 12-04-2010
I was skeptical at first, but heard some good reviews and ordered a blade for my ZTR. My new driveway is quite big (at least for a suburban home anyway) and for me to get a snowblower big enough, I would have easily spent $700-800 on a blower big enough for that size driveway. This was delivered to my door for $455.

If you have a ZTR and live in a northern climate, I highly recommend one of these. I'll have my driveway cleared in 10 minutes without a problem.
Attached: photo(2).jpg (46.4 KB) 
[Reply]
HK3- 08:42 PM 12-04-2010
NICE!!!!!!!!!! If I still lived up north I would definately look into purchasing one for mine! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:42 PM 12-04-2010
Sure as hell beats shoveling. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 09:51 PM 12-04-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
You hear them talk about shoveling being bad for your back, but so was installing that damn thing. I'm tired and sore as hell. Nothing more fun than drilling holes through a steel frame with bits not meant for steel, and dull ones at that.
[Reply]
docdoty 02:15 AM 12-05-2010
I like that. I use to put one on my ATV when I lived in MI. you might want to think about getting some chains for the tires, they will really help when it gets slick or you have alot of snow fall. IMHO
[Reply]
forgop 06:53 AM 12-05-2010
Originally Posted by docdoty:
I like that. I use to put one on my ATV when I lived in MI. you might want to think about getting some chains for the tires, they will really help when it gets slick or you have alot of snow fall. IMHO
It'll have to snow a lot to need chains I think. I pushed it all into one spot and even when I hit the big piles, my tires still never slipped.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
TripleF 08:53 AM 12-05-2010
love it! :-)
[Reply]
Conch Republican 10:39 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
So does having someone plow for you :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 11:26 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
drilling holes through a steel frame
I hope it came with gussets and frame paint for the bare metal.
[Reply]
landhoney 11:55 AM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
I hope it came with gussets and frame paint for the bare metal.
Here comes Dave Downer........"rust causes more damage each year than all eathquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes combined".........womp wahhhhhhh

:-):-) Just joking, ever see those Debbie Downer SNL skits? That post just reminded me of that. Excellent point none the less Dave. :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 12:10 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
Here comes Dave Downer........"rust causes more damage each year than all eathquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes combined".........womp wahhhhhhh

:-):-) Just joking, ever see those Debbie Downer SNL skits? That post just reminded me of that. Excellent point none the less Dave. :-)
sure have Seth,they are funny.What won't be funny is if Duane's frame bends on his machine. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 12:16 PM 12-06-2010
sure have Seth,they are funny.What won't be funny is if Duane's frame bends on his machine. :-)
The kit did come with plates to put on the front and back of the frame if that's what you're referring to.

Even without them, I think I'd have to hit something pretty damn hard to bend the frame.
[Reply]
landhoney 12:18 PM 12-06-2010
I agree, thus the 'excellent point none the less' in my post above. :-)
[Reply]
Sled Dog 12:31 PM 12-06-2010
It'll have to snow a lot to need chains I think. I pushed it all into one spot and even when I hit the big piles, my tires still never slipped.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was wondering about that too..... i'm surprised it gets such good traction.
[Reply]
forgop 12:44 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by Sled Dog:
I was wondering about that too..... i'm surprised it gets such good traction.
When I was younger, my dad had a Wheel Horse garden tractor that he put chains on and still spun the tires. It was a heavy garden tractor as well.

I think the ZTR is better suited for plowing though if you think about it. The engine is located behind the rear tires, which is obviously where most of your weight it distributed. For a garden tractor, more than 50% of the weight is distributed in the front even with your body weight included.

My ZTR weighs in the neighborhood of 650 lbs I believe with most of that weight in the back. The blade is somewhere around 150 lbs they estimated with the mounting kit.

Granted, I only pushed a 2-3" accumulation, but even when I pushed the bigger piles, I never spun the wheels at all.
[Reply]
Sled Dog 12:57 PM 12-06-2010
When I was younger, my dad had a Wheel Horse garden tractor that he put chains on and still spun the tires. It was a heavy garden tractor as well.

I think the ZTR is better suited for plowing though if you think about it. The engine is located behind the rear tires, which is obviously where most of your weight it distributed. For a garden tractor, more than 50% of the weight is distributed in the front even with your body weight included.

My ZTR weighs in the neighborhood of 650 lbs I believe with most of that weight in the back. The blade is somewhere around 150 lbs they estimated with the mounting kit.

Granted, I only pushed a 2-3" accumulation, but even when I pushed the bigger piles, I never spun the wheels at all.
Good point about the engine sitting over the wheels, plus your body weight is almost over the rear wheels as well. We've gotten about 10" of fresh snow since I left the house this morning, so I wish I had that right now... that beats the ol Toro snowblower
[Reply]
forgop 01:19 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by Sled Dog:
Good point about the engine sitting over the wheels, plus your body weight is almost over the rear wheels as well. We've gotten about 10" of fresh snow since I left the house this morning, so I wish I had that right now... that beats the ol Toro snowblower
I used a snowblower at my previous house with about half as much driveway as I have now. I'll just say I won't miss coming in frozen from all of the snow flying around as well.
[Reply]
68TriShield 02:33 PM 12-06-2010
The kit did come with plates to put on the front and back of the frame if that's what you're referring to.

Even without them, I think I'd have to hit something pretty damn hard to bend the frame.
Exactly what I was referring to,that's a good thing! :-)
[Reply]
Up